r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > RpodNation Downtime and Maintenance > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dewinterize

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dewinterize
    Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 1:00pm
How do I dewinterize?
Theresa's Seaside Cowgirl
2010 FORD F150 V-8
2010 R-POD 173
Sisters on the Fly #1569
IPodAlong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IPodAlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 8:24am
This will be my first spring too.  I have a few notes on de-winterizing but won't share since I'm inexperienced too and will be checking this strand or searching the Forum for other strands on the topic.  I'm getting excited; my first whole season with my Pod.  Only got to use it 3 times last year.
2010 Rp 171
Towed with 2011 Ford Expedition
Co-pilots: Abby & Brownie
"No one can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." -- Anon
Sixgunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixgunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 10:57am
Here you go: Smile

De-Winterization:

1. Reinstall the battery
  2. Open the gray water dump valve.
  3. Verify that the water valves are set to the winter position (hot and cold valves perpendicular to lines, middle valve parallel). Must be left in this position until system is flushed.
  4. Verify the valve near the water pump (used to draw antifreeze) is set properly (perpendicular shut the line).
  5. Fill the fresh water tank.
  6. Turn on the water pump and open each faucet in the camper (including toilet & shower) one at a time and allow water to flow for a minute or so. Let the water flow until all color and odor is gone.
  7. Turn off the water pump and connect the hose to the city water inlet to pressurize the plumbing system. Run some more water through the system to flush the last bit of antifreeze out, then unhook the hose again.
  8. Check to ensure the anode rod is reinstalled in the water heater and the pressure relief valve is closed.
  9. Set the valves for normal (summer) operation: (hot and cold lines should be parallel to the water line, and the one in the middle should be perpendicular).
  10. Turn on the water pump and open a hot water faucet. Once the water heater tank is full, shut all faucets and wait until the pump turns off. Listen for a few minutes to make sure that the pump does not cycle again. If the pump cycles on and off repeatedly, it may indicate a leak somewhere in the fresh water plumbing. If a leak is suspected, visually inspect all the plumbing under sinks, in bathroom, under trailer, etc.
  11. Check/replace the batteries in the smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector.
  12. Make sure the tire pressure is at the max pressure shown on the sidewall of the tire.
  13. Grease wheel bearings every 2-3 years, depending on mileage.
  14. Refill propane tank if necessary.

Sanitizing fresh water tank and plumbing

1. Mix about a cup of plain household bleach in a gallon of water.
  2. Pour bleach mixture into the fresh water tank and top it off with the hose.
  3. Turn on the water pump and run each faucet until you can plainly smell the chlorine.
  4. Top off the fresh water tank again and let the system set for at least a few hours, longer is better.
  5. Drain the fresh water tank and refill with clean water.
  6. Flush the system out by running the clean water through each faucet again until the chlorine smell is gone.
feo fuerte y formal
IPodAlong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IPodAlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 8:42pm

Aren't you good!  Thanks! 

2010 Rp 171
Towed with 2011 Ford Expedition
Co-pilots: Abby & Brownie
"No one can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." -- Anon
tdrace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 10:00pm

THANKS!Tongue

Theresa's Seaside Cowgirl
2010 FORD F150 V-8
2010 R-POD 173
Sisters on the Fly #1569
Pawpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pawpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 12:36am
One thing my dealer suggested is to leave out the aniod rod and hook up the city water flushing out the water heater. Then inserting the rod.

Also my first summerizing. Fingers crossed.
Ready to pod around.
Sixgunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixgunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 5:45am
Originally posted by Pawpod Pawpod wrote:

One thing my dealer suggested is to leave out the aniod rod and hook up the city water flushing out the water heater. Then inserting the rod.

That sounds logical. But if you decide to do so, it may be advisable to thread some kind of (pvc) adapter where the anode rod inserts to direct the water flow away from the trailer.

feo fuerte y formal
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 7:24am
Originally posted by tdrace tdrace wrote:

How do I dewinterize?

Reverse the process of how you winterized, in addition to sanitizing the fresh water tank with some Clorox.  Also, replace your hot water heater rod if needed.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic