r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Outside Maintenance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R-PODMAYBE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 1:42am
I made an extensive thread singing the praises of Meguiar products last year. To review briefly:

I like to use their Ultimate Wash and Wax first. I'm leary of combo products, but this is a good one. It is fast, easy and does a nice job. It is especially useful after a long trip. I then like to follow that with their Ultimate Quick Wax. I like to use these two at the start of summer and in the fall.

In between, their Ultimate Quick Detailer (I much prefer the Ultimate Wax and Ultimate Detailer over the regular ones) does a nice job of cleaning and restoring a sheen to a trailer or a vehicle. You may be able to get away with just doing the front area of your Pod with the Ultimate Quick Detailer several times during the summer. I think it is important though to use the waxes at least twice a year.

Ron
2011 R-POD 171
2008 TOYOTA TACOMA DOUBLE CAB 4X4
A GOOD WIFE, A GOOD DOG, A GOOD TRUCK, A GOOD TRAILER AND TIME ENOUGH...
R-PODMAYBE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R-PODMAYBE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 11:45pm
Tuesday, I used MeGuiars Ultimate Wash and Wax to wash our 171 that has been sitting in the AZ sun for the last 6 months. Considering that exposure, it looked pretty good before I started. Last November, I used The Ultimate Wash and Wax and followed that with Their Ultimate Quick Wax.

This is what it looked like after using The Wash and Wax:

This is what it looked like after I followed the Wash and Wax with Ultimate Quick Wax:

They Are Great Products,
Ron
2011 R-POD 171
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 9:05am
She look real good!  Mirror Shine!

My ex was visiting and got bored, so he Waxed Podterfly, next camping trip the suction cups wouldn't stickCry.

Just sayingLOL  To Wax or Not to Wax is the question.

LeeStar

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R-PODMAYBE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 2:09pm
Lee,

I'm not sure what for/where the suction cups go, but you could not wax that portion. Waxing is an easy call for me. The sun eats everything. With all the decals on an Rpod it will be a lot bigger problem if you don't wax, not to mention the finish itself. It is a BIG deal.

Ron
2011 R-POD 171
Tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 1:24pm
I just waxed mine and told the tink'r pod i hope she liked it because it might never happen again!! The biggest problem was that I could only reach up so far and even a ladder didn't help me to reach the curved part. My husband had to help me do the upper part. Also, how do you get to the very top?  It doesn't seem strong enough up there to hold a body. It only took me 4 days to get it all waxed and we didn't even do the very top!

Tink'rPod 174 Knoxville,TN,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R-PODMAYBE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 2:13pm
Tink,

I use a tall step ladder at the RV park we stay at that allows me to even wax the cowling on the A.C. I can do the roof and curved areas with a regular step ladder, but it is a reach and I have my wife steady the ladder.

Your reply is exactly why I like Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax. If you did nothing else, it would look nice, be protected and you could easily do it in several hours. I definitely wouldn't attempt to get on the roof. I put one hand near the edge to support myself while reaching the harder to get at areas.

Ron

2011 R-POD 171
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Tink Tink wrote:

I just waxed mine and told the tink'r pod i hope she liked it because it might never happen again!! The biggest problem was that I could only reach up so far and even a ladder didn't help me to reach the curved part. My husband had to help me do the upper part. Also, how do you get to the very top?  It doesn't seem strong enough up there to hold a body. It only took me 4 days to get it all waxed and we didn't even do the very top!

I've walked on the roof. No give or flex to it and no damage but I don't know that I would recommend it unless you really have to. One real danger, especially if you already have wax on your pod is getting too close to the curve on the front of the pod. I imagine an accidental slide down the front of your pod onto the propane tank and tongue jack would require a call to the Paramedics.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R-PODMAYBE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 2:36pm
Steve,

Our dealer said not to get on the roof or even lean an extension ladder against the top edge of the rpod.

Ron
2011 R-POD 171
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by R-PODMAYBE R-PODMAYBE wrote:

Steve,

Our dealer said not to get on the roof or even lean an extension ladder against the top edge of the rpod.

Ron

I probably wouldn't get up on the roof again. I don't know about putting a ladder against the top edge, though. I've done that lots of times. One would think if the construction is that weak the trailer would fall apart just pulling it down the highway hitting bumps in the road and getting hit by wind gusts. A bit overly cautious I think.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R-PODMAYBE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 2:59pm
Steve,

I thought the same as you regarding the extension ladder, but I have only used a step ladder.

Ron
2011 R-POD 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic