r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer hitch cargo carrier?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barrywood7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer hitch cargo carrier?
    Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 12:17am
Has anyone here added a hitch to their rpod. I am thinking about adding one but it would be nice to hear from someone that's already done it. I don't plan to put much more than 125 lbs on it. Is there any chance that could damage the trailer?
Barrywood7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barrywood7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 12:20am
I forgot to mention that I don't plan to tow anything with it. I only want to add a cargo carrier for a little extra space.
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 7:19am
Doesn't your rpod already have a receiver on the back? I thought they all came with one.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 9:33am
Originally posted by Ratdog Ratdog wrote:

Doesn't your rpod already have a receiver on the back? I thought they all came with one.

-- Steve

I was going to ask that too.  My hitch as the spare tire mount/tire.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barrywood7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 8:14pm
Thanks, I did not realize all I have to do is remove the spare.
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 8:22pm
It's probably not a good idea to put anything much heavier than your spare on that receiver and to not have it sticking out from the back of your rpod much further than your spare. That receiver isn't really designed to handle a heavy load.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 9:16am
Forest River makes a distinct statement that the pod receiver hitch was designed to carry the spare tire.  They also don't recommend putting a bike carrier back there for more than two bikes.  Remember that the warning sticker weight is for 'stationary weight'...traveling will cause the pod to bounce up and down, greatly increasing the forces on the rear hitch.  It would be better to install a custom carrier on the front hitch, if there is room.
tsunami
GaRedneck81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaRedneck81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 9:34am
It is very easy to "beef up" the carrying capacity if the rear receiver; a welding shop did it for me for $ 100.00. I could carry probably 350-400 lbs. back their if I wanted to.  Of course I won't because it would throw off my center of gravity and cause the POD to sway. I do carry my Honda 2000i generator and a cooler back (total weight 110 lbs) there without any problems.
GaRedneck81
U.S.Navy-Retired
Heavy Chevy 5.7 liter
RP-172
Kennesaw, Ga.
tedbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 9:38am
Originally posted by tsunami tsunami wrote:

Forest River makes a distinct statement that the pod receiver hitch was designed to carry the spare tire.  They also don't recommend putting a bike carrier back there for more than two bikes.  Remember that the warning sticker weight is for 'stationary weight'...traveling will cause the pod to bounce up and down, greatly increasing the forces on the rear hitch.  It would be better to install a custom carrier on the front hitch, if there is room.

Agreed.  I wouldn't put anything heavier than one bike on the back.  After having my tire cover stolen, I now keep the spare under the bed so it isn't the next thing to disappear, making room for my bike rack on the back (a happy accident, as they say).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barrywood7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 11:11pm
Thanks for the advice. I want to carry a yamaha EF3000iSEB that weighs 150 lbs. It's too much for me to lift onto my truck alone and I camp solo often. Since my original post I've looked at a few rear cargo carriers and some have ramps. The generator has wheels so I think it will be easy too push up and strap down. I will start looking for a shop to beef it up. Any recommendations on carriers with ramps appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic