r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wind vs the r dome

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Momsnichols Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wind vs the r dome
    Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 8:44pm
Anyone know how the r dome does in wind.
S
Tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 1:02am
This is  2 separate times. I should have known better. Now I use weights on the corners because usually I can't get the stakes pounded into the ground. I think that if you have the sides and the front all closed up it is better. Hah!!  I'll let you know later. Smile

Tink'rPod 174 Knoxville,TN,
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 8:15am
Depends on how bad of wind, but in bad winds, the wind always wins in our experience.

Even staked down at all available spots and having the front ties pulled to the front and staked down we've had the dome fold in on itself and try to take flight.

What will usually happen then if you have all the stakes done well is that the wind will bounce the dome up and down and it will eventually disengage your support poles that go from the pod to the door end of the dome.  Most always it's the middle one.

And as Tink's pics show, that usually means a flat dome after the wind.

I'm very confident that some MacGyver type modifications could be made to make this not occur but thus far we've just found it easier to take the dome down if it is very windy.  Granted very windy is like severe Thunderstorm windy!

Normal winds and we've never had issues, even a huge gust every now and then is fine if you're staked properly.

But if a Thunderstorm is on the way and the winds are constant and fast with it, our dome comes down by hand rather than pick it up out of the rain later!
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 8:37am
I think the most important thing to do is buy REAL stakes. I went and got 12" steel spikes from the store, and pound them in with a hammer. I can stake down in a paved parking lot if needed.

Any tent can fail to the wind, and I have had it happen many times before. But Having it tight and firm to the ground always helps.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 9:28am
Staking down the R-Dome in a paved lot is not recommended.  You have just created hundreds of dollars of repair work.  The broken asphalt will continue to break up and will need to be patched or worse the lot site will need to be repaved. If I were the camp owner...I would very much contemplate a repair charge.  No different than chopping up a picnic table for firewood!
tsunami
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 1:06pm
Pretty sure Furpod didn't mean that literally, more an illustration of a point.

And I agree, those nice steel tent spikes are the best ones to use with the dome, 100%.  The supplied ones or even the slightly better plastic ones you'll see at your camping stores just won't compare.

I tell you what though, there isn't anything much more entertaining than trying to get the dome down during a huge storm.  Tie some cords to it and I'd swear you could turn the whole Pod into some sort of Parasailing device.  LOL
psaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 1:39pm
What I do, if on asphalt, is put my ice chests and some shot bags on the flaps, to hold the sides down.  But as everyone says, a strong enough win will knock it in/down.
2011 RP177 "Sponge Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
P2 Brake Controller
Momsnichols View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Momsnichols Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 7:21pm
S
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by tsunami tsunami wrote:

Staking down the R-Dome in a paved lot is not recommended.  You have just created hundreds of dollars of repair work.  The broken asphalt will continue to break up and will need to be patched or worse the lot site will need to be repaved. If I were the camp owner...I would very much contemplate a repair charge.  No different than chopping up a picnic table for firewood!

Well luckily, you aren't a camp owner. And when you are, may I suggest metal picnic tables?

But I ALWAYS stake out the dome when we spend a week in the wal-mart parking lot. That's just how we roll. Heck I even bought my heavy duty stakes AT wal-mart.

(I have honestly been amazed at the lack of humor I have seen several times on this and the other board. I sure hope that when we go to the Eastern roundup, it isn't the norm. We get PLENTY of stuffyness with the other trailer)

BTW, if you read this far, will MoosePod be there? We have met your pod, would love to meet you'all..
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 4:39am
Originally posted by furpod furpod wrote:

But I ALWAYS stake out the dome when we spend a week in the wal-mart parking lot. That's just how we roll. Heck I even bought my heavy duty stakes AT wal-mart.

(I have honestly been amazed at the lack of humor I have seen several times on this and the other board. I sure hope that when we go to the Eastern roundup, it isn't the norm. We get PLENTY of stuffyness with the other trailer)

BTW, if you read this far, will MoosePod be there? We have met your pod, would love to meet you'all..

Don't stop with the humor! I took you about as seriously as when someone says they could eat a horse. But you did get your point across. There are times when we just cannot drive a stake into hardly packed ground or when they gravel the whole site, and it's good to know that there is a solution.

By the way: I keep seeing your map in your signature line and wonder how you got your pod (or any trailer) from Kansas to California without hitting any of the states in between.
Traveling with Herb and the Boon-doggie

2010 r-pod 171 pulled by '11 Silverado
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic