r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Missing" clearance and fender lights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Missing" clearance and fender lights
    Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 7:28pm
Has anyone heard about any update about the requested recall via the NHTSA about the missing clearance roof lights and the missing fender lights on pre-2011 Pods?  The Canadian Government, more than a year ago, found Forest River had violated the bi-national NHTSA requirements that all Pods had to have roof clearance and fender lights.  It appears that Forest River has appealed the ruling about having to have all of the required lights because it will cost them too much to bring the Pods up to the legal requirements.
Knowledgable friends of mine have told me that I probably would not be able to sell my Pod, especially as a trade-in through a licensed RV dealer.

tsunami
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 10:49pm
Used ones sell all the time.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 11:33am
I think it depends on the State.  Some inspectors are real sticklers about safety details.  The whole US recall started because a fellow Pod owner had trouble getting his Pod licensed in his home state.  And he complained to NHTSA.
As the recall becomes more well known, I think that uncorrected Pods are going to become more and more difficult to re-sell/tradein (at least through licensed dealers).
A friend of mine refuses to buy a used Toyota because of the 'accidental' speed-up controversy.
tsunami
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 2:46pm
I don't know how it works up there, (although I should since half my family lives between Hinckley and Duluth) but here, if I sell my trailer, I just sign the back of the title, take my money, and run. They carry title down, and get it changed to their name, no inspection required. If I bring a vehicle in from out of state, there is an inspection, done by a local deputy, of the VIN, nothing else.

I wouldn't/don't trade cars into a dealer, and seriously doubt I would trade the trailer either. They HAVE to make money on it. I can sell it to a private party myself, for more than the dealer would give me, and less than they would charge the new owner.. a win-win in my book.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic