r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A few newbie questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosmo459sx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A few newbie questions
    Posted: 04 May 2012 at 8:51pm
I took a look at the FAQs and tried to retain as much as possible. I have a few questions that I was hoping a more experienced Podder could help me with:

1. Our 182G rear "garage" gasket (which runs the interior perimeter of the garage and seals against the garage lid) is coming apart in a 6" or so section on the top left hand side. It appears that from sitting at the dealer so long, the gasket stuck to the fiberglass and became partially separated. I tried silicone spray last week, and after lifting it today, it is still sticking. I asked around, and I've heard anything from cornstarch to belt dressing to armor all and other products. I wanted to check here first to see what experienced podders have used.

2. Is it worth getting a cover? I've heard that using a cover can create as many problems as it prevents if you don't buy the right one. When you buy the right cover, you pay for it, and the benefits are negligible (from what I've heard). Is it more important that I wash it bi-weekly and wax it 2-3 times a year? It is being stored in a back yard that is close to an oak tree.

3. I am learning how the pumps work and how certain appliances can run on either gas or electric (water heater, fridge). I am not sure if trying to run on electric when possible is a smarter choice, but for some reason, my gut tells me it would be more reliable.

4. How do I get the outside garage speakers to turn off individually so that we can watch a movie inside without pissing all the neighbors off? We've looked at the manual, but it is not the best as far as explanation of such items.

Thanks in advance for any help. I am reading all the manuals and trying to pick this up on my own, but surely listen when those wiser than myself speak.
2012 R-Pod 182G. No mods (yet).
Tom and Carol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom and Carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 9:31am
We just bought the Northern Tool cover on sale for $119 and put it on Thursday.  It went on much easier than I expected with the wife's help of course.  I decided to get one to protect it from our Florida sun, which as you know, can be brutal.

My appliances are always run on electric, except for a couple of days last year when I ran the fridge on gas, because I didn't properly reset a circuit breaker.  How embarrassing for a retired electronic tech.Confused

I too would like to know the best treatment for gaskets around the door and slide out.

Tom
Tom and Carol
R-Pod 177
2006 F-150
cosmo459sx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosmo459sx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 10:53am
Thanks for the input Tom. I have seen the cover that Northern Tool sells, but had heard that it doesn't cover the A/C unit very well. Could you post a picture of your Pod with the cover on it?

2Peas-n-RPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Peas-n-RPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 11:09am
Originally posted by cosmo459sx cosmo459sx wrote:

4. How do I get the outside garage speakers to turn off individually so that we can watch a movie inside without pissing all the neighbors off? We've looked at the manual, but it is not the best as far as explanation of such items.

Thanks in advance for any help. I am reading all the manuals and trying to pick this up on my own, but surely listen when those wiser than myself speak.

I'm still looking for a solution to the gasket problem as well. No luck yet.

For the speakers, the selection buttons for them are right under the main display, marked A, B and C. The "A" button is for the garage area, the "B" button for the inside speakers, and "C" is just extra (for future expansion, I guess). Having stated the obvious, they might be hooked up wrong by the Forest River monkey who puts the unit in. My unit would not connect the DVD picture to the TV, just the sound. So I pulled the unit out and they had the video cord plugged into the "video in" instead of "video out" so the signal was being sent back into the machine instead of out to the TV. Angry They may have hooked something up wrong at the factory - wouldn't surprise me.

To pull the unit out, carefully pry off the plastic frame around the edges. Then you will see 4 screws, one in each corner; take those out and then you can slide it out to check the hook ups on the back of the unit. Good luck!
2011 R-Pod 182G Hood River Edition
"Ribbitt" Pod
2000 Ford F150 5.4L V8 TV
Sixgunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixgunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 1:33pm
Don't know about the 182G, but my Northern Tool cover fits my 177 perfectly, including the a/c projection. They come in two sizes as I recall... I'm absolutely convinced (fitting issues aside) that if you decide on a cover, NT is the way to go.

I, too, run all my appliances on a/c current all the time.
feo fuerte y formal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosmo459sx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by 2Peas-n-RPod 2Peas-n-RPod wrote:

Originally posted by cosmo459sx cosmo459sx wrote:

I'm still looking for a solution to the gasket problem as well. No luck yet.

For the speakers, the selection buttons for them are right under the main display, marked A, B and C. The "A" button is for the garage area, the "B" button for the inside speakers, and "C" is just extra (for future expansion, I guess). Having stated the obvious, they might be hooked up wrong by the Forest River monkey who puts the unit in. My unit would not connect the DVD picture to the TV, just the sound. So I pulled the unit out and they had the video cord plugged into the "video in" instead of "video out" so the signal was being sent back into the machine instead of out to the TV. Angry They may have hooked something up wrong at the factory - wouldn't surprise me.

To pull the unit out, carefully pry off the plastic frame around the edges. Then you will see 4 screws, one in each corner; take those out and then you can slide it out to check the hook ups on the back of the unit. Good luck!

Thanks very much. I will check to see if switching the A, B, and C speakers does the trick. If not, I will try pulling the unit out as you had mentioned.

I also appreciate the advice on the Northern Tool cover, it seems like the way to go.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosmo459sx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Sixgunner Sixgunner wrote:

Don't know about the 182G, but my Northern Tool cover fits my 177 perfectly, including the a/c projection. They come in two sizes as I recall... I'm absolutely convinced (fitting issues aside) that if you decide on a cover, NT is the way to go.

I, too, run all my appliances on a/c current all the time.

Do you happen to have a picture of the Pod with cover on it?
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 6:28pm
Here are some..

Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
IPodAlong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IPodAlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 8:27pm
The longest cover I see at Northern Tool is 190 in.   Most of our Pods are over 18 ft.  Is the 190" cover the one you have?
2010 Rp 171
Towed with 2011 Ford Expedition
Co-pilots: Abby & Brownie
"No one can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." -- Anon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosmo459sx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 9:53pm
Wow, that looks great. If it fits, I would likely buy one. IPodAlong brings up a good question. By the way, I tried canola oil on the garage gasket today and it worked way better than silicone spray. Hopefully it won't attract bugs, but it surely made the gasket stick a lot less. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic