r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camping with Pets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I'm a mosquito magnet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IPodAlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm a mosquito magnet
    Posted: 05 May 2012 at 8:45pm
And I DON'T consider them pets.  I'm seeing mosquito repellent apps.  They probably don't work but I'll try anything; I need to take stock in the company that produces OFF.  I was wondering how my dogs would react so I played one from U-tube and the retriever raised up and looked alarmed.  She'll get used to it if it just startled her but I'm wondering if the high pitch will be uncomfortable for her.  Couldn't really find much on it by googling.  Anyone used any of those apps while sitting outside your Pod?  Do they seem to work?  Opinion on effect on pets' ears?
2010 Rp 171
Towed with 2011 Ford Expedition
Co-pilots: Abby & Brownie
"No one can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." -- Anon
Pawpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pawpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 12:06am
May I suggest a ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent. My wife is a mosquito smorgasbord and we found this works the best. It's powered by a fuel Cartridge that heats up a pad which contains something that keeps them away. There is also a patch that was out 2 years ago that also worked good, lasted a long time too.

The apps are just for fun and don't work IMO.
Ready to pod around.
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 4:25pm
OFF is the only thing we've ever had work for us.  We've lit candles, torches, had the little lanterns, mosquito coils, various natural remedies and nothing keeps us from being bit besides the OFF sprays.

Oh well, sticky and chemicals are better than skeeter bites all over.  Shocked
IPodAlong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IPodAlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 6:52pm
I used the things you wear on your belt that has a little fan in it and it worked okay last summer.  Doesn't help the other people sitting around unless they have one too.  When people come to my house, I actually bomb the deck before we go out and it lasts maybe an hour.  Haven't done the ThermaCell.  That might be one to try.
2010 Rp 171
"No one can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." -- Anon
Vallgrlx2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vallgrlx2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 8:58pm
For those Mosquito Magnets, may I suggest the Flowtron Bug Zapper. I purchased one for the patio, to prevent being chewed on by these B52 sized Mosquitos. This device really seems to real the bugs in on those sultry summer days.....

http://www.amazon.com/Flowtron-BK-15D-Electronic-Insect-Coverage/dp/B00004R9VZ/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1339376025&sr=1-1&keywords=bug+zapper
2012 Toyota Highlander
2012 R177 RPod
Two Scotties

OurPod
tjmeisner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjmeisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 7:29am
Our local fish cops all carry a Thermocell, we have one but haven''tried it yet, for the short term I use a 40% deet spray, more deet the better, skitos just love me.
Tom Meisner The Chicken Ranch East prop.
Lynnette Meisner coop mistress

Fremont, Indiana      Scenery is here, wish you were beautiful.
hummingalong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hummingalong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 5:15pm
My son has an alergic reaction referred to as "Skeeter Syndrome" where instead of getting the typical "bite" it will swell to the degree you would expect to see if he were to BREAK his arm instead of just getting a bite. Because of this, we have to take serious precaution against mosquitos. Unfortunately he also has very sensative skin so spray ons are often not an option.
I always thought thermocel was a gimick, but when they went on sale (2 for the old price of 1) we finally bought them. They work well as long as you keep up on the butane and repellent cards (they are easy to see when they need replaced) and are pretty cost effective considering we go home with ZERO bites every time. Check out cabela's reviews... over 14000 reviews and 4.5-5 stars almost every time. You can't go wrong.
IPodAlong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IPodAlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 7:43pm
Okay, I've been checking out info on this Thermocell.  Sounds like it might be good for a stationary setting (outside the camper or on my deck) so I might start looking for a sale on that.   It doesn't seem very portable so I might have to stay with the OFF clip-on which isn't perfect but I can tell a difference.  It looks like WalMart, Tractor Supply, Home Depot, Gander Mtn all carry Thermocell so I'll shop around.  Had never heard of it so thanks for the info.
2010 Rp 171
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic