r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

newbie battery question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leonlewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: newbie battery question
    Posted: 10 May 2012 at 4:48pm
Will the battery charge when the R pod is plugged into the house power outlet? 

kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 4:59pm
Yes it will.
leonlewt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leonlewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 5:06pm
Thanks to you again.
MandB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MandB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 7:33am
My question is: will it overcharge when hooked up to standard household AC? Is there some form of overcharge protection? I have been derelict in my duty to check the electrolyte levels and need to. We leave our trailer plugged in at home all the time.  
kmcmurph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmcmurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 2:14pm
What we did was purchase a small battery maintainer, the pig tails stay on the battery all of the time. When home, we just plug into that to maintain the battery's charge. Then we also have a solar panel maintainer when the camper is away from power. I have heard leaving the camper plugged in to the shore line all of the time can overcharge the battery, but I am not sure if this is true or not. Check out walmart or northern tool for a maintainer to get some ideas.

Karl
Karl, Kerri and the hounds:: 5.4L '04 Expedition:: 2010 177
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 7:13pm
My Pod's built-in charger seems to be able to 'float' the charge quite well.  I have never read any comments from Pod owners on either forum questioning the Pod's charger capability.

tsunami
R&T's Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R&T's Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 7:24pm
Our pod stays plugged into shore power (have 30 amp circuit just for it) 24/7 at home.  This is our third season with the pod.  I took the battery to have checked prior to our first trip and it checked good.  The on-board charger appears to be doing a good job.  Rob
2010 R-Pod 175 2007 F-150 Super Cab R&T's Podding Blog

maggiemay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maggiemay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 4:02pm
Too all who have confirmed that you can recharge your battery using one of the electrical outlets in your home, I'm confused. I thought you couldn't plug the Pod into a regular household outlet. Or did I misunderstand? Can I take my big Pod power cord that I use at a campground and plug it into an outlet in my kitchen? (It's a very old house - no outlets outside).
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 4:14pm
You may or may not be able to do that. It all depends on the electrical system in your house. You may be able to plug into your home's circuit (with the proper adapter plug) if the circuit is at least 20 amps. You'll be able to run your trailer's interior lights and the charging system but you won't be able to run your AC or your microwave.

My big concern is if you have old wiring, you may not have a GFI-protected circuit and it wouldn't be wise to plug into an non-GFI for outdoor use.

Your best bet? Call a licensed electrician. Let him look at your house wiring and breakers/fuses and tell him what you're trying to accomplish. If you aren't set up to do what you want to do safely, he should be able to fix it for you so that you can use it safely. Money well-spent, in my opinion.

Take care,
-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
podsible dream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote podsible dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 4:19pm
You can use that big power cord with an adaptor that converts the plug configuration from the large 30amp style to a 15 amp grounded household style. These adapters are available at Walmart and other stores selling rv accessories. the large campground power cord is connected to the distribution box which supplies electricity to the interior and exterior outlets of the pod and is converted to 12 volts for the heater, frig, and other 12v things. The 12volt converter also supplies and regulates the voltage needed to keep the battery topped up.
Modern batteries are well sealed and generally don't require the maintenance that older ones did.
You should be able to run the AC from the 15 amp circuit and a light or two, but don't try to use both the water heater and AC at the same time on that circuit.
Happy podding!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP 171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Durango Crew 5.7l Hemi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic