r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

newbie battery question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MandB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 7:45am
Why would you not want to run the AC? We do it all the time off a 15 amp circuit. The circuit is protected by an old fashion fuse, but I assume a 15 amp breaker wouldn't trip. You obviously wouldn't want to turn on anything major along with it, but  the AC itself isn't going to pull 15 amps, because that's all the protection they have for it within the trailer. 
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 8:15am
It's not that I don't want to run the AC, it's that the AC simply will not operate on a 15 amp house circuit. Trips the breaker every time.

I'm curious to hear experiences from others who have tried to operate their pod AC on a 15 amp house circuit.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 8:59am
I believe that the Pod's A/C requires at least 20 amp service.  Any less and you are either going to pop the household circuit breaker or at least stress the household wiring.  The A/C stresses the circuit the most when the A/C compressor kicks in.  Start-up takes more amps than when the compressor is already running.  Your circuit breaker maybe a slow-acting one which allows a minor overload to continue without tripping.  But the wiring will heat up...good luck!
Low amperage may also damage the Pod's A/C as the compressor tries to turn over but can't.

tsunami
Tom and Carol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom and Carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 9:12am
When getting ready for our current vacation, we had the pod plugged into the house.  One of us must have accidentally bumped the ac switch to on, because I came out of the house a while later, and was surprised to hear the ac running.  We had not even turned the fridge on yet, so that may be why the circuit survived the start up current.
Tom and Carol
R-Pod 177
2006 F-150
MandB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MandB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 9:13am
I don't know. My AC is on  I believe a 15 amp breaker on the trailer wiring. There is actually a label mounted to the ceiling with a handwritten 16 amps. How could it use more than that off the AC. I understand there might be a piece of an amp being drawn off other circuits, like the lights you might have on and the DC convertor, etc. Just haven't had a problem with the old 172.  
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 9:36am
Our pod's AC has a 20A breaker. We have a dedicated 30A outlet at home for the pod, but in a pinch we have run the AC and fridge on a 20A circuit.  A 15A circuit is inadequate for the AC. 
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 10:09am
The other poster said his house was on a fused system, not circuit breakers. Maybe fuses are more forgiving than circuit breakers. I don't know.

Nevertheless, regardless of whether the circuit breaker or fuse would do it's job to protect the circuit under an overload, the concern is with the house wiring heating up on an overloaded circuit.

Headings 1 and 3 on the following page are particularly relevant to this situation:

-- Steve

HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Ratdog Ratdog wrote:

The other poster said his house was on a fused system, not circuit breakers. Maybe fuses are more forgiving than circuit breakers. I don't know.

Nevertheless, regardless of whether the circuit breaker or fuse would do it's job to protect the circuit under an overload, the concern is with the house wiring heating up on an overloaded circuit. 

Especially if the household circuit was originally a 15A, like most older homes, and the breaker/fuse was replaced with a 20A. Caramba!

Time delay fuses (like I have in my well pump circuit) allow a momentary overload when an electric motor starts but will blow if the overload condition persists.

Unless there's a penny under the fuse. Aye yi yi!

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 11:39am
Originally posted by HuronSailor HuronSailor wrote:

Especially if the household circuit was originally a 15A, like most older homes, and the breaker/fuse was replaced with a 20A. Caramba!

Time delay fuses (like I have in my well pump circuit) allow a momentary overload when an electric motor starts but will blow if the overload condition persists.

Unless there's a penny under the fuse. Aye yi yi!

One summer when I was in college, I worked on a deep sea fishing boat that took tourists fishing out into the Gulf of Mexico. One day I was looking in the boat's fuse box and saw that several of the fuse slots had pennies in them. I didn't think anything of it at the time . . . but I do now!

-- Steve

podsible dream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote podsible dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 2:27pm
Gentlemen, ladies, let us do some analysis of this problem- using some arithmetic and some facts.

The applicable formula from physics is E=I x R, where E is the power in watts, I is the work in volts and R is the resistance in Amps. This can be rearranged as R = E/I, or amps = watts divided by volts.   

So a 15 amp circuit breaker or fuse is capable of handling a load of 1650 watts at 110 volts. The voltage here is the key, as the lower ther voltage, the lower the wattage the circuit can manage. This means that during peak usage times, such as summer, the voltage can be as low as 95 to 105 V. Most utilities in my experience maintain around 108V as constantly as possible.

Circuit breakers typically have a margin of safety built in to handle transient surges such as motor starts. Probably in the range of 20 to 40 % - but only for milliseconds, before they trip. A typical metal based fuse will instantaneously melt at overload, whereas a "slo-blow" will retain integrity until the greater than capacity load duration finally melts the link.

There are several threads about air conditioners, current draws and generator capabilities on the owners forum, one is currently active. There are several references to the steady state draw of the RPod AC being 1150 watts. At 110 V, this is a current draw of 10.5 A. With a 40% start pulse, it is still less than 15A. Thus a typical house circuit, fused or with a breaker, should be capable of handling the load. One might try plugging in an iron to see if the circuit can handle the load. if the start up does pop the breaker, it could the breaker is weak and needs to be replaced, or there is a load on the circuit that remains unidentified. Same is true for a fuse, although it would be best to use a slo-blow one on the circuit.
For safety, one would want to use a circuit that wasn't already being used for other household uses, such as tv, vacuum, refrigerator, iron, etc. As an 'oh, by the way,' a one horsepower electric motor is rated at approximately 750 watts, or a draw of 6.8 Amps at 110V. A typical modern refrigerator is about 500 watts. The Fantastic fan in the pod is 25watts at 12 V.

All that being said, the original questions were whether the RPod system actually charges and maintains the battery when plugged into shore power, and, absent a 30 Amp outlet can the pod be plugged in to typical household outlet of 15Amps to keep the battery charged. The answer to both questions is "Yes". One needs an adaptor for the power cord, to fit a grounded 15 A outlet. However, as has been pointed out, it is best to keep the total use of electricity in the pod to a minimum when a 15A outlet is used.

Thanks!
Walt
Chris and Walt
'10 RP 171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Durango Crew 5.7l Hemi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic