r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vertical Slider in Pod Door

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vertical Slider in Pod Door
    Posted: 14 May 2012 at 12:25pm
I finally found a vertical sliding window for the pod on eBay and the seller is right here in Michigan. It's a 14 x 21 vertical slider with screen, smoked tempered glass and black frame. It's priced with a 3/4" interior trim ring, but we need 1 1/2". A quick call to the seller, an extra $11 for the trim ring, and the window was on the way. The trim ring is "mill finish", which means plain aluminum colored, while the rest of the windows as they come from the factory have black trim rings. I guess if it bugs you, you could hit it with some flat black spray paint.  I left it as is.

Step 1: remove the door from the hinges and place it in a convenient position on some saw horses. There's 18 screws holding the door on, and they come out really easy.

Step 2: using the interior trim ring for measurements, I made a cardboard template for the cutout. I'll be using a jigsaw to cut the opening, which cuts on the upstroke. To minimize possible chipping to the exterior door skin, the layout was made on the inside.

Step 3: drill a pilot hole for the saw blade somewhere INSIDE the layout line, take a deep breath, and cut away. This is what you'll end up with. There's  nothing inside the door but styrofoam so you don't have to worry about cutting through any interior structure.

Step 4: the window comes with a pre-installed rubber gasket, so there's no need to mess around with that gooey butyl tape or nasty caulk. Just put the door in the opening, insert the trim ring from the other side, and drive in the provided self tapping screws. The pod with her new window:

And a view from the inside with glorious light streaming through:

Contact info for this window below. The seller has an eBay store under the name vintek1958. You'll have to call him to get the required trim ring. Total for this window, including the trim ring, Michigan tax, and shipping, was $105.

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
Alex&Marie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex&Marie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 6:27pm
wow! what a great write up and pictures - I have been thinking about doing this and you made it look very doable.

thanks
Alex and Marie
2012 R-pod 177, 2006 Toyota Tundra
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 10:08am
HuronSailor you always inspire me...This has been on your to do list for a long time (since 2009 I think).  In January I found this same window at a local dealer and he quoted me $100 for the window and another $100 to install (at least).  I was still shopping for a new Tow Vehicle so I didn't want to give up the cash. Now  I have instuctions. LOL

A Woman with tools and instrcutions is DANGEROUS!!!

LeeStar

P.S.  Still like the Port Hole idea for the bunk area!!Cool  maybe after the door.     
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camper Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 10:34am
Just a suggestion.  After visiting the factory, and fantasizing about adding a window at the other end of our 171, I realized that the side walls are constructed of aluminum channel welded together.  Then they cut foam to fit each of the small compartments.  If you tried to install a window in the side, you would have to cut the aluminum.  Might weaken the whole structure, and I assume void your warranty.  Nice job on the door.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 lb.) Mini Dachshund
2013 Rpod 171HRE (Pods-of-Luck)
2005 Chev. Tahoe
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Camper Bob Camper Bob wrote:

Just a suggestion.  After visiting the factory, and fantasizing about adding a window at the other end of our 171, I realized that the side walls are constructed of aluminum channel welded together.  Then they cut foam to fit each of the small compartments.  If you tried to install a window in the side, you would have to cut the aluminum.  Might weaken the whole structure, and I assume void your warranty.  Nice job on the door.  Safe Travels.

1. Podterfly is three years old...no extended warrenty.
2. I'm talking small round windows like on a boat, or even a smaller version of the above (I've seen them on other RV's).   In the front of a 172, there is no natural light or airflowConfused.  If / When I find the right ones (plus time and money),  I will fit them in between the aluminum channels.

Thanks
Lee
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Butterfly_Lee Butterfly_Lee wrote:

... I found this same window at a local dealer and he quoted me $100 for the window and another $100 to install (at least). 

It took me around 1 1/2 hours to do the install. So $100 for labor at the dealer probably isn't out of the ballpark. But if you have the tools and inclination it's a really easy job. In fact it's probably the least complicated mod I've done to our pod.

We're still thinking of opening portholes in the bunk area too, but so far all I've found that will work and looks decent are actual portholes. And like anything for a boat, it's ridiculously overpriced. Even more overpriced than RV stuff. So that's still on the back burner for now. 

Glad I could inspire you.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
bumc1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 12:13am
I like that window in the door. My Dad hates it when I find new projects for him on here LOL
Lisa
argh6 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote argh6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 8:19pm
Thank you sir!  I'll be doing the same thing to ours!!!
Jerry, Julie, Kaiti, & Abbi ~ Phoenix, AZ ~ 2010 172T ~ 2004 Acura MDX
ChaiPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChaiPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 6:03pm
Is your window this window?

From the instructions, I had the impression that this window was sized to fit into standard RV doors, unless the window from your seller is  different from this one?

2009 r.pod 152

2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 6:56pm
No, that's not the same window. I don't see any dimensions in the PDF file, but if it's close to the same size as the one I used, and the trim ring is for a 1 1/2" door, it should work OK. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic