r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dinette Cushions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camper Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinette Cushions
    Posted: 21 May 2012 at 1:33pm
I have been underwhelmed with the cushions in the dinette.  They seem to bottom out when sat upon.  I am of normal weight and I think the foam inside is not of the highest quality.  Will probably break down rather quickly.  Went to an upholsterer yesterday and had a very informative discussion about different quality of foam.  However, when he gave me an estimate to just cut new foam and use the original covers I was floored.  Only wanted $480.  to stuff 4 cushions.  Anybody restuff theirs and is this price out of line?
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 lb.) Mini Dachshund
2013 Rpod 171HRE (Pods-of-Luck)
2005 Chev. Tahoe
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 1:44pm
Foam is outrageously expensive, espcially the high quality stuff that will actually support a human body.

We had a foam mattress made for us at an upholstery shop that folds in half and when unfolded is exactly the width of the 177 floor with the slide out and extends from the queen bed to the dinette table (that's where I sleep now because I don't fit in the short queen bed). The mattress is comfortable and I like it but . . . it cost $800.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camper Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 2:23pm
Ouch.  Well if your comfortable, that's what matters.  Foam is outrageously expensive.  Got a second quote and within $20.  Gonna stay with what we have.  $400. to sit is too expensive for an occasional use.  Oh well.  Gonna wait till gas hits .35/gallon and then gonna go for it.  Safe Travels.
2005 Chev. Tahoe
R&T's Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R&T's Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 4:44pm
Steve, 

Hearing what you paid for your foam mattress, I don't feel bad about the $600.00 we paid for a new custom foam mattress for our pod three summers ago.  (But it doesn't have to fold like yours.)  It has held up well and is MUCH better than the factory mattress by far.  Rob
2010 R-Pod 175 2007 F-150 Super Cab R&T's Podding Blog

Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 5:29pm
You know, sleeping on the floor might not appeal to some but I have much more room down there than I had on my half of the queen bed and it's VERY comfortable. And my wife enjoys having the entire queen bed to herself (we kept the original mattress but put a memory foam topper on it). We chose the most expensive foam for my "floor bed" and very durable fabric covering. Having it "hinged" in the middle allows us to fold it up and put it on top of the queen bed during the day. The only negative is that it takes me a bit longer to get up off of the floor at the age of 66 than it used to when I was younger. But all-in-all, we've found this to be a good solution to the sleeping issue for us.

-- Steve

Rabbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 9:36pm
My wife and I went a little different route.  We replaced the original mattress with a nice 8" foam one from Overstock.com.  After our first trip we bought another for the dinette bed.  I would sleep on the outside but I use a sleep apnea machine and need to be on the inside. 
Enjoy!
Wink

Wink
Ray
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 6:34am
Originally posted by Rabbit Rabbit wrote:

My wife and I went a little different route.  We replaced the original mattress with a nice 8" foam one from Overstock.com.  After our first trip we bought another for the dinette bed.  I would sleep on the outside but I use a sleep apnea machine and need to be on the inside. 
Enjoy!
Wink

Wink

My wife also uses a CPAP machine. The little "entertainment center" cubbyhole above the bed in our 177 is a perfect place to store and use it. I bored a hole in the side of the cubbyhole for the CPAP breathing hose.

-- Steve

Seanl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seanl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 12:18am
I have purchased foam online from Richie foam and Mattress in Mooresville NC. They have an Ebay store. The foam is good quality and is a lot cheaper than any place local to me, even when you consider shipping. 
--Sean
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camper Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 12:23am
Thanks.  Will contact them tomorrow.  Safe Travels
2005 Chev. Tahoe
rjw576 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjw576 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 4:56pm

FYI...I agree with all the statements about the cushion foam quality and prices, so this year got a 2 inch memory foam queen mattress topper on clearance at Target for $100. Works great and I stuff it into a tote when we convert to the dinette...wish there was a better storage option.

Bod Pod
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic