r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Reviews and Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R-Pod vs. Vibe or something else

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by leckert leckert wrote:

Hello to everyone,

We are a family of five (mom, dad, 12G, 6B and 5yr yellow M lab).  I grew up in a pop-up and my better half grew up in a cabin/hotel for vacations.  We've been looking at RV's for a couple years ("browsing") and recently I had an epiphany (I'm told it takes a while for me...lol) a pop-up will never happen, a hybrid is possibility but a 4 sided no canvas would be the best option.  I would like to know the cons, dislikes, problems, maintenance and anything else owners of R-pods can provide us to make an educated buying decision.  At this point we're looking at a R-pod182G or a Vibe 6405.  Also any information on the Vibe would be great.

The manufacturer and sales reps are going to provide the good and not the bad information I'm looking for factual information and not BS!  If I want the latter any salesman will be more then willing to provide that!

Thank you,  Lee

I know people do it, however, for the life of me I can't see (4) people and a dog comfortable in any of the R-Pods.  Take a trip to the dealer, find the larger R-Pod they have and take you, the wife and the two kids into the camper and close the door.  Imagine that, plus a dog, for those nights/days that it rains for hours.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by this_is_nascar this_is_nascar wrote:

Originally posted by leckert leckert wrote:

Hello to everyone,

We are a family of five (mom, dad, 12G, 6B and 5yr yellow M lab).  I grew up in a pop-up and my better half grew up in a cabin/hotel for vacations.  We've been looking at RV's for a couple years ("browsing") and recently I had an epiphany (I'm told it takes a while for me...lol) a pop-up will never happen, a hybrid is possibility but a 4 sided no canvas would be the best option.  I would like to know the cons, dislikes, problems, maintenance and anything else owners of R-pods can provide us to make an educated buying decision.  At this point we're looking at a R-pod182G or a Vibe 6405.  Also any information on the Vibe would be great.

The manufacturer and sales reps are going to provide the good and not the bad information I'm looking for factual information and not BS!  If I want the latter any salesman will be more then willing to provide that!

Thank you,  Lee

I know people do it, however, for the life of me I can't see (4) people and a dog comfortable in any of the R-Pods.  Take a trip to the dealer, find the larger R-Pod they have and take you, the wife and the two kids into the camper and close the door.  Imagine that, plus a dog, for those nights/days that it rains for hours.

Nascar has an extrmely valid test method and thought process on this one.  We're in a 181g and I think it's crowded if my wife and I are in there and then someone comes in for a tour.

It would be my personal opinion that you could be more comfortable in a larger camper if you're able to go that route.  But then again if you're a close family and would spend a lot of your time outdoors barring the weather then a Pod could suit you well.

Again I think your best option might be for all of you to hang out in one for about 10 minutes and try to move around and see how that works out for you.

I
podsible dream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote podsible dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 9:29pm
Check out the other forum and ask your same set of questions. There are several families active there that can provide some insight as they have similar demographics.

If you grew up in a tent with at least one other youngster, you should be able to handle living in a pod. The r-dome adds a lot of living space and is remarkably weather tight. The units with a slide out and a set of bunks would seem to be ideal for a family of your size. Your TV should be good for any number of campers.

Enjoy the search for your ideal small camper!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP 171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Durango Crew 5.7l Hemi
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 9:36pm
@nascar..

A friend uses one of these:

laptop tuner
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 7:30am
Thanks.  I'll have to check it out.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180

Seanl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seanl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by this_is_nascar this_is_nascar wrote:

Originally posted by Camper Bob Camper Bob wrote:

We recently took delivery or our 171.  Years ago had a tent, then a popup, then a hard sided trailer.  When we became empty nesters we stopped camping.  After 20 years were back at it.  Really didn't look at any other trailers.  Our concerns are, this is our last trailer.  I expect fuel prices to continue to climb and being retired our income is not what it once was.  Will have to replace our tow vehicle at some point and will be downsizing it.  For the two of us the Rpod is perfect.  Has all that we need as we continue to "mature."  Has heat, A/C, bathroom, and stove.  We did also go for the microwave oven.  Our tv is our computer with a usb connection for cable, provided by the campground.  Not able to get off the ground, as I once was.  This unit really fits the bill for us.  Already have three more trips scheduled and planning more thru Sept., Oct.  Did go to the factory to see them assembled.  Very impressed with the construction and workmanship.  Any new vehicle has a few problems, but I think you will hear from most folks here that once the initial problems are resolved, they continue to work just fine.  We did replace the mattress upon delivery.  Had some other mods made based on comments on this forum.  All were right on.  Do lots of reading and if you still have questions, the folks here are as good as it gets for info.  All the best, and Safe Travels.

Can you tell me more about this?  How are you using your computer (a laptop I'm assuming) as a television, with USB and the campground's cable wire?

I have a USB TV tuner for my Laptop. A little bigger than a thumb drive with a cable connection on one end. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition

Bill and Marie in TX View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill and Marie in TX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 10:38pm

There is also the possibility of the kids using a tent outside just so they can have their own adventure.  We have done this with our older children and worked out great.  And I still get to do alcooking filling anyway.
2011 RP-181G "Wine Pod II"
2011 F-250 6.2L V8
2 Doxies + 1 tiny Corgi = 1 full size dog
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 9:08am
Looks pretty neat.  Thanks.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180

argh6 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote argh6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 8:00pm
My family of 4, my wife and I and our 2 girls, Love our 172T.  The pop out makes the camper feel ginormous when the weather is nice, or close it up when its not so nice.  We all get along just fine and love our pod!
Jerry, Julie, Kaiti, & Abbi ~ Phoenix, AZ ~ 2010 172T ~ 2004 Acura MDX
thebegbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebegbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 11:51pm
We are a family of five (no dogs though) and use the rpod. It's not super but it works fine. 
'12 r-pod 177
2008 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 V6
Father of 3 Boy Scouts and yes, we cram 5 family members in our 177!
When is the next camping trip? Because I'm ready for a vacation!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic