r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Reviews and Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R-Pod vs. Vibe or something else

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 12:30pm
We were just out looking at RVs to get some modification ideas, and I really liked the Avenger by Prime Time. It is comparably priced to the rPod (local dealer had it priced ~$15,000) and I thought it had a nice look and feel. Note that it has aluminum siding rather than fiberglass like the rPod.

The Avenger can sleep 8, although is twice the dry weight for towing and is ~10 feet longer, but it has a larger fridge/freezer which I think you'll need to feed everyone.

Here's a walkthru video I found on youtube that shows the model I looked at (261LT or 26BH):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3jr3-hloL8

another model:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGM76uL6Y4o

I'm not trying to hawk any particular RV model, but I would really hesitate to take a family of 5 plus a dog out in the RV unless you plan to set up the RDome and spent the vast majority of time (including most folks sleeping) outdoors.
leckert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leckert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 2:34pm
thanks for the info
BSAJim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSAJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 10:39am
We chose the r-pod for several reasons:

1) Having previously owned a pop-up, canvas sided trailer and set it up in the pouring rain, I vowed that the next would be a hard-side that did not require much more than just parking the trailer.

2) We have experienced some campgrounds in parks that are closed to trailers that were not hard-sided. This has been because of bears finding that trailers with canvas sides or pop-outs are "easy open snack packs".

3) We live in California, and a number of state parks have begun limiting the number of campsites that will accomodate a trailer longer than 20 feet. Some no do not allow trailers over 20 feet at all.

4) As pointed out by others, the proce of gas is simply not going down.

For us, the r-pod is the right answer.

Happy Trails,

Jim & Carmen
Jim & Carmen - San Jose, CA
r-pod 177 and V-6 Highlander
CC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 11:28am
BSA,
I had no idea that sites were limiting RV size...must be a California thing?

I also read on a forum discussion where a canvas popout was in the rain when camping, but when the person got home, it rained for a week straight, and it took forever before they could get it out to dry. So they ended up with mold/mildew/stinky. Yuck.Dead

I'm in Texas and I told my DH I wanted a fiberglass outside because it seemed "bear-proof" to me. Everyone laughs at that since we don't see many bears around these parts, but the point is we'll  be taking it to other parts for camping...parts where there ARE bears. I tried really hard not to laugh at "easy open snack packs."

Lighting a candle, not cursing the darkness
"The Pod Couple"
2011 RP-177
TV: 2010 F150
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 11:56am
Originally posted by CC CC wrote:

BSA,
I had no idea that site were limiting RV size...must be a California thing?

I also read on a forum discussion where a canvas popout was in the rain when camping, but when the person got home, it rained for a week straight, and they never could get it out to dry. = mold/mildew/stinky. Yuck.Dead

I'm in Texas and I told my DH I wanted a fiberglass outside because it seemed "bear-proof" to me. Everyone laughs at that since we don't see many bears around these parts, but the point is we'll  be taking it to other parts for camping...parts where there ARE bears. I tried really hard not to laugh at "easy open snack packs."

If a bear wants into your rpod, he/she is going to get in. Not as bad as a "snack pack" maybe but certainly no better than an easy open sardine can. The advantage you have is that you may be able to scream for a minute or two longer while the bear is gaining entry.

Seriously, I wouldn't worry too much about the bears. Just don't leave any food outside. We had a mama bear and cubs coming into our KOA campsite at Yellowstone every night. They went straight for the dumpster and didn't bother anyone. There were tent and popup campers there during that time. The manager told everyone that if they were going out of their camper at night, to always go with another person. My wife said that only works if the person she goes with runs slower than she does.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 1:53pm
Yep, a bear can get into a TT with ease. When I was a kid, my family was camping at Yosemite, we used to go several times a year, on no notice.. (can't do that anymore..)  and a bear removed the rear passenger side door of an International Travelall to get to a cooler in the back. I am pretty sure that was the last time my mom tent camped.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camper Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 4:02pm
About 25 years ago we were camping with our sons in Sequoia State Park in Northern California.  Had bear problems then, also.  I can remember the ranger trying to impress us about keeping our food inside.  He showed us a picture where a bear had gotten the scent of toothpaste inside a car.  The bear had taken his nails and inserted them in the fissure in the body of the car just in front of the front door.  He ripped the door right off the hinges.  It had been closed.  Don't take food anymore when camping.  Seriously, he certainly got my attention with that.  We have been back since to Sequoia and they now have steel boxes at each campsite for your cooler to reside in.  Probably 1/4" steel plate.  Gotta be aware.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 lb.) Mini Dachshund
2013 Rpod 171HRE (Pods-of-Luck)
2005 Chev. Tahoe
BSAJim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSAJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 4:30pm
Folks,

You are all correct. Where does a 400 pound bear eat? Anywhere he wants. A bear can easily rip the door right off a trailer. None are bear proof.

The point was that certain parks believe that it is safer, and will keep you out of some great campgrounds if you show up with a tent trailer. Having a hardside lets you get in, even if it is no safer.

As far as the California thing, I won't get started on the rant. As a 3rd generation Californian, I wave watched the state decline from the land of golden opportunity to the People's Republic of California. Another reason to own a travel trailer.

Wishing you all happy trails,

Jim
Jim & Carmen - San Jose, CA
r-pod 177 and V-6 Highlander
CC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 4:37pm
I wasn't trying to mess with Cali, I was just thinking it might be a state mandate I haven't come across yet.

Sorry also for the thread derail re: Da Bears. My thought was that the fiberglass buys me more than a canvas tent. I was thinking in terms of buying me more protection, but you guys have shown me the error of my thinking. So, I'll think in terms of buying me more time.

If I have 2 extra minutes, I won't spend them screaming. I'll be taking the safety off the Texas version of Bear Spray. Wink
Lighting a candle, not cursing the darkness
"The Pod Couple"
2011 RP-177
TV: 2010 F150
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by CC CC wrote:

I wasn't trying to mess with Cali, I was just thinking it might be a state mandate I haven't come across yet.

Sorry also for the thread derail re: Da Bears. My thought was that the fiberglass buys me more than a canvas tent. I was thinking in terms of buying me more protection, but you guys have shown me the error of my thinking. So, I'll think in terms of buying me more time.

If I have 2 extra minutes, I won't spend them screaming. I'll be taking the safety off the Texas version of Bear Spray. Wink

You could always attempt an escape through that useless escape window in the Rpod.

As far as protecting yourself with a firearm, that's what I'd be doing, too. However, I read somewhere that if a bear is coming after you and you're able to get off a shot, even it's a hit to his heart, it can take the bear 30 seconds or more before it dies. A bear can do a heck of a lot of damage in those 30 seconds. If I'm ever faced with that situation, I'm hoping the sound of the gunshot will be enough to scare off the bear.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic