r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Reviews and Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R-Pod vs. Vibe or something else

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leckert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Pod vs. Vibe or something else
    Posted: 24 May 2012 at 12:41pm
Hello to everyone,

We are a family of five (mom, dad, 12G, 6B and 5yr yellow M lab).  I grew up in a pop-up and my better half grew up in a cabin/hotel for vacations.  We've been looking at RV's for a couple years ("browsing") and recently I had an epiphany (I'm told it takes a while for me...lol) a pop-up will never happen, a hybrid is possibility but a 4 sided no canvas would be the best option.  I would like to know the cons, dislikes, problems, maintenance and anything else owners of R-pods can provide us to make an educated buying decision.  At this point we're looking at a R-pod182G or a Vibe 6405.  Also any information on the Vibe would be great.

The manufacturer and sales reps are going to provide the good and not the bad information I'm looking for factual information and not BS!  If I want the latter any salesman will be more then willing to provide that!

Thank you,  Lee
leckert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leckert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 12:51pm
Ooops

I forgot to mention TV is a 2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab w/ a 4.7L v-8, HD towing pkg.

Thanks again, Lee
turncoat3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turncoat3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 3:47pm
Welcome to the forum.  I am sure you will find a ton of material on the R PODs and a lot more info about everything else as well.
I have had a Forest River R POD 177 since early 2010 and have not found anything that I can complain about.  Everything works the way it is supposed to work.  The only thing I have had to change is the water heater electric element after 3 years.   Of course I change the water heater anode after inspection each year when I winterize the systems.  I hope your search goes well. Best of everything.
Ben & Lorrie
2010 RP177
Sixgunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixgunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 7:58pm
Welcome, friend!

You'll find yourself among a group decidedly biased in favor of the Forest River R-Pod in all its iterations (what would you expect?).

I, too, have a R-Pod 177 and I have been quite satisfied with it, having migrated from tent camping to pop-up trailer to Pod. The benefit and draw-back of the R-Pod is its size. With an empty nest, it's just my dear wife and I, so the R-Pod is ample for our needs. In fact, compared to our old pop-up, it's positively luxurious. You'll have to make that call for yourself. Go look at them and give it careful thought.

In terms of functionality, I have no complaints. The Pod works as designed and at the same time, lends itself to individualized modifications. I like everything about it. (okay, I have to admit, I replaced the factory mattress with a memory foam...)

I wish I could offer some insight into the Vibe unit, but I'm not at all familiar with it.

Good luck. I'm sure at the end of the day, you will make the right decision for you and your family.
feo fuerte y formal
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camper Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 12:00am
We recently took delivery or our 171.  Years ago had a tent, then a popup, then a hard sided trailer.  When we became empty nesters we stopped camping.  After 20 years were back at it.  Really didn't look at any other trailers.  Our concerns are, this is our last trailer.  I expect fuel prices to continue to climb and being retired our income is not what it once was.  Will have to replace our tow vehicle at some point and will be downsizing it.  For the two of us the Rpod is perfect.  Has all that we need as we continue to "mature."  Has heat, A/C, bathroom, and stove.  We did also go for the microwave oven.  Our tv is our computer with a usb connection for cable, provided by the campground.  Not able to get off the ground, as I once was.  This unit really fits the bill for us.  Already have three more trips scheduled and planning more thru Sept., Oct.  Did go to the factory to see them assembled.  Very impressed with the construction and workmanship.  Any new vehicle has a few problems, but I think you will hear from most folks here that once the initial problems are resolved, they continue to work just fine.  We did replace the mattress upon delivery.  Had some other mods made based on comments on this forum.  All were right on.  Do lots of reading and if you still have questions, the folks here are as good as it gets for info.  All the best, and Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 lb.) Mini Dachshund
2013 Rpod 171HRE (Pods-of-Luck)
2005 Chev. Tahoe
wallawallaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 9:07am
Greetings,

I agree with all that has been posted ahead of me.

Just going to add a couple of points.  1. Buy as large of a unit that you can afford,with the size of your family and rover the POD might be a little tight but doable. 2. Might come a time when daughter or son might want to have a friend come along on campout. 3. Try and rent a unit from a RV dealer and see how it will work out for your family. 4. Are there plans in the near future to expand the size of the family? I would look at some trailers in the 21-24 foot range based on your post.  Good luck and have fun. Remember ask as many questions here as you can think of, we are a great bunch here. 

CheersBeer

WWR

WWRon,2012 RP177 HRE "Eye Pod",2010 Ford F-150 4x4
9/11 Never Forget.
NRA Life Member, Amsoil dealer www.lubedealer.com/wallawallaron
Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 10:59am
When a family that has been tenting asks, I usually encourage them provided they feel comfortable with the sleeping arrangements. The pod is like a large tent with a bathroom. It's a definite step up from a tent. But given your wife's total lack of camping experience I would encourage you to look at larger units with more walking about space. Even the larger RVs will be a step down from renting a cabin space-wise.
Traveling with Herb and the Boon-doggie

2010 r-pod 171 pulled by '11 Silverado
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 11:47am
PODs are neat, interesting, entertaining campers. But, like ALL small campers, they are NOT for everybody. Pggy L. nailed it pretty good.

There is a reason that on any given weekend, a stroll around the campground will only find a few, if any, Scamps, A-Liners, Tabs, Pods, Cassitas, A/S Bambi's, etc..

Not that they aren't good, just that small is not for everybody. or actually, most people, for many reasons..

as to the direct question.. the vibe's are brand new, so I doubt we will be able to find anyone on this forum with camping experience in one just yet.. they do look nice on the website.. maybe we will swing by our dealer and see if they have one this weekend.

BTW.. I was totally bummed when the new Shasta retro didn't make it. I have seen only one in person, and didn't stop to check it out when I had the chance.. It was sitting on a small lot, and we had the A/S in tow.. I don't deviate from the course much with all that back there. lol.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 11:33am
OK, so at the Kentucky Horse Park, the local gianormous dealer had some models on display, including a Vibe 6503. Besides the fact that it looks like a horse trailer.. A lot of reasons I wouldn't want one.

A couple right off is the 3 foot or so height of the bed, and VERY enclosed "bedroom".

No way to add second battery or larger/multiple LP tank(s).

The front end layout is looks just clumsy to use as sleeping space.

Now looking at the available floor plans on FR's website, some of the larger ones may be better.. but then they aren't in the R-pod league.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Camper Bob Camper Bob wrote:

We recently took delivery or our 171.  Years ago had a tent, then a popup, then a hard sided trailer.  When we became empty nesters we stopped camping.  After 20 years were back at it.  Really didn't look at any other trailers.  Our concerns are, this is our last trailer.  I expect fuel prices to continue to climb and being retired our income is not what it once was.  Will have to replace our tow vehicle at some point and will be downsizing it.  For the two of us the Rpod is perfect.  Has all that we need as we continue to "mature."  Has heat, A/C, bathroom, and stove.  We did also go for the microwave oven.  Our tv is our computer with a usb connection for cable, provided by the campground.  Not able to get off the ground, as I once was.  This unit really fits the bill for us.  Already have three more trips scheduled and planning more thru Sept., Oct.  Did go to the factory to see them assembled.  Very impressed with the construction and workmanship.  Any new vehicle has a few problems, but I think you will hear from most folks here that once the initial problems are resolved, they continue to work just fine.  We did replace the mattress upon delivery.  Had some other mods made based on comments on this forum.  All were right on.  Do lots of reading and if you still have questions, the folks here are as good as it gets for info.  All the best, and Safe Travels.

Can you tell me more about this?  How are you using your computer (a laptop I'm assuming) as a television, with USB and the campground's cable wire?

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic