r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frame out of square

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frame out of square
    Posted: 28 May 2012 at 10:46pm
Just an update on the screen door being pulled away from closing on weather strip. Also noticed that the main door was not in a straight line when eyed with the frame, when it was closed. I had assumed the problem was the cross-members on the screen door being cut slightly to short and when the screws were put in they pulled the white metal of the screen door in towards the hinge side, when the screws were tightened down. When the screen door is put up against the main door both doors seem to be straight. So the parts person where we bougth the trailer said the problem just might be that the frame of the trailer might not be square...At present we are awaiting what the word is from where we bought r pod. When we went camping we just ran an extra piece of weather stripping down along the screen door to keep the bugs out.. worked fine. The main door also closes with no problem but just doesn't run a straight line down when closed,compared with the frame.   Other than the door issues we are very pleased with our pod and would buy another... Will keep you all posted with what happens between Forest River, where we bought the pod and us.. not sure how they will handle this. Sure will be real hard to make the doors set properly on a frame not square..
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
2012 177.. "EHHH" R Pod" its a canadian thing..
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 9:28am
Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how/if it was resolved?
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 9:53am
I may be completely wrong here but I can't imagine that problem being successfully addressed by any other means than a new trailer.

My wife and I once built a house ourselves but we hired a foundation contractor to layout the foundation, construct the footings, and pour the slab. Later when we were cutting rafters for the roof, we ran into a problem with the rafters not fitting properly. Turns out the foundation was out of square. One end of the slab was 3" wider than the opposite end. I know that doesn't sound like much, but that's huge for a slab that's only 36' long and it created all sorts of problems for us.

Point is, your pod's frame is like the foundation of a house. If it's "out", it affects everything else. There may be more flexibility and "give" in a travel trailer than there is in a house, I don't know. But I can't conceive of a way for that frame to be squared unless your dealer has some kind of equipment like an auto body shop has to straighten a car frame. I would doubt that he does.

If your trailer is still under warranty and if the frame really is out of square (do you have that confirmed yet), I'd accept nothing less than a new trailer.

Good luck with this. It will be very interesting to see how your dealer and FR handle this problem for you.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 11:16am
No Steve we haven`t heard from our dealer yet, they`ve had the pod since last Sat. May 26. So not sure what they have found out or if they have been in contact with FR. I had e-mailed FR earlier when I thought it was just the cross members of the screen door cut to short and they replied they would make it right... now this is a whole new kettle of fish. I think I`ll wait till I hear from my dealer and take it from there. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by ron_whitt ron_whitt wrote:

Just an update on the screen door being pulled away from closing on weather strip. Also noticed that the main door was not in a straight line when eyed with the frame, when it was closed. I had assumed the problem was the cross-members on the screen door being cut slightly to short and when the screws were put in they pulled the white metal of the screen door in towards the hinge side, when the screws were tightened down. When the screen door is put up against the main door both doors seem to be straight. So the parts person where we bougth the trailer said the problem just might be that the frame of the trailer might not be square...At present we are awaiting what the word is from where we bought r pod. When we went camping we just ran an extra piece of weather stripping down along the screen door to keep the bugs out.. worked fine. The main door also closes with no problem but just doesn't run a straight line down when closed,compared with the frame.   Other than the door issues we are very pleased with our pod and would buy another... Will keep you all posted with what happens between Forest River, where we bought the pod and us.. not sure how they will handle this. Sure will be real hard to make the doors set properly on a frame not square..

Wow.  You're much more forgiving than I.  If it turns out that your frame is not square and it's through no fault of yours, you'd be crazy to settle on anything other than a full replacement unit.  For still being willing to purchase another, all I can say is WOW, again.  Based on my experiences with my 2010 RP151, I'd never recommend an RPOD to anyone.  When you start to see/hear/read of other's experiences and see photos of their work environment, it becomes quickly evident why they put out the product as they do.  Horrible assembly is the biggest issue as far as I'm concerned.  It's a shame that with the RPOD brand, you're better off asking an owner "how many issues has he had" vs. asking "if he's had any issues".

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Ratdog Ratdog wrote:

I may be completely wrong here but I can't imagine that problem being successfully addressed by any other means than a new trailer.

My wife and I once built a house ourselves but we hired a foundation contractor to layout the foundation, construct the footings, and pour the slab. Later when we were cutting rafters for the roof, we ran into a problem with the rafters not fitting properly. Turns out the foundation was out of square. One end of the slab was 3" wider than the opposite end. I know that doesn't sound like much, but that's huge for a slab that's only 36' long and it created all sorts of problems for us.

Point is, your pod's frame is like the foundation of a house. If it's "out", it affects everything else. There may be more flexibility and "give" in a travel trailer than there is in a house, I don't know. But I can't conceive of a way for that frame to be squared unless your dealer has some kind of equipment like an auto body shop has to straighten a car frame. I would doubt that he does.

If your trailer is still under warranty and if the frame really is out of square (do you have that confirmed yet), I'd accept nothing less than a new trailer.

Good luck with this. It will be very interesting to see how your dealer and FR handle this problem for you.

-- Steve

Agreed.  You said it much better than I did.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 8:12pm
Little update. We are going to use the trailer this summer and when we're done camping we'll take the EHH R pod back to the RV place and they will attempt to fix the doors. At that point we'll see about a complete new door frame plus doors or whatever needs to be done. They did bend the door frame so that the screen door sets a little better on the weather stripping.
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 11:07pm
ok so just got back from a week of camping. All worked ok. Got home put slide out locked deadbolt. Forgot to put something in camper.. Deadbolt wouldn't open... key would only go 3/4way in. Can't take pod to RV place with slide out. They will have to come out and replace deadbolt.. If not for door problems the EHH R Pod has preformed very well. Have informed FR of problems (except for this last one) They have said they would make things right at end of camping season, which I have agreed to. LOL now things might have to be hurried up a little.
Its a saga I will keep you informed on..
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
Tom and Carol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom and Carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 9:31am
You will get great satisfaction out of solving these problems and much experience to share with others going through the same things.
Tom and Carol
R-Pod 177
2006 F-150
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camper Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 9:48am
Just a thought.  For all of those who purchased a Rpod in the earlier years, I believe that Forest River was going thru growing pains with this design.  Each year they have gotten better and added suggestions from this and the other forum.  We just got a 2013 171 HRE and many small items have been changed/evolved over the last few years.  I really am not totally aware of what was before and what they offer now.  But did go last Sept. to a local RV dealer and he pointed out small mods made from the previous year.  Better slides on the drawers.  Hinges on some of the compartments, etc.  That, and a delivering dealer that has properly prepped the vehicle, goes a long way towards owner satisfaction.  They will never be perfect, but I believe they have improved over the previous years.  For the "early birds," sorry that you were the gunea pigs but they have added small touchs that have improved the overall satisfaction.  The out of true door frame is bizarre.  IF FR is willing to correct or replace the Rpod, I don't think you can ask for more.  Now about the mattress.  That truly is a disaster.  Anyway, that's my opinion.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 lb.) Mini Dachshund
2013 Rpod 171HRE (Pods-of-Luck)
2005 Chev. Tahoe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic