r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Custom Bear Creek Canvas Awning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosmo459sx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custom Bear Creek Canvas Awning
    Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 10:16am
I ordered a 6 1/2' by 8' awning that was supposed to work with our awning track. The spline is way too thin and the awning slips out. I have been told that sliding a 7/16" plastic tubing over the spline will make it fit. I tried this and the tubing slips off the spline too easily. A few canvas shops said they would sew the tubing onto the spline, but I am not sure if that is a good idea. Can anyone think of any other way that makes sense? I'm trying to get this together for Saturday..
2012 R-Pod 182G. No mods (yet).
Heidi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 1:13pm
You could try crimping the track but you would never be able to use it for the Rdome if you wanted one later unless you opened it up again somehow. quite labor intensive I would think and I have not tried it
we R-pod people
175 ,2 peeps and one small horse
cosmo459sx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosmo459sx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 1:17pm
I would be afraid it would ruin our resale potential down the road. Someone had mentioned installing an awning track above the Rdome track that fits the spline I have. A local place said they could provide me with a 6 1/2' track that would work. I would assume it would be ok drilling into the RPOD since they did this with the Rdome track anyway??
Heidi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 1:24pm
My DH informed me that he wouldn't crimp it because it would probably crack the metal and the paint. As far as adding a second track lots of people drill into the pod make sure you seal your holes but there should be some metal there to drill into

we R-pod people
175 ,2 peeps and one small horse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosmo459sx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 1:46pm
ok, that makes sense. I guess it would make sense to drill above the spots where the existent awning track is secured.
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 2:07pm
Rather than doing all that extra stuff (adding a new track, bending the existing track, etc), why not just return what you have and order the proper thing?
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 2:57pm
I am thinking someone else ran into this very problem last year, and did come up with a solution..

I would contact Bear Creek and see what they say. If nothing else, I would think they can cut off the current welt, and sew on a new one.. would shorten your awning by a couple inches..

Of course.. hard to get that done by Saturday..
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosmo459sx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 3:01pm
they don't make it yet
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 6:57pm
This should be a simple fix for any canvas shop - the wrong size awning tape was used and it needs to be replaced with the right size. 

I vote with Nascar, ask for a do over. 
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosmo459sx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 10:21pm

A local guy that makes aluminum awning frames cut me a piece of this and left it outside his shop so I could drop by this evening and see if it fits. The awning spline fits right into it and holds. He said he could cut me a 6 1/2' section of it for$10 out the door. Then I just need to mount that track to the Rpod above or below the existing track. That would work great and solve my issue, but I don't know if I should go above or below the existing factory Rpod awning track. I will use stainless screws as suggested and seal everything. I just dont want to screw into any wiring or plumbing. Any suggestions?? Or should I have a RV service center do it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic