r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dometic Fridge and Propane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zilbub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dometic Fridge and Propane
    Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 10:09pm
Hi Everybody,

When I'm towing my R-Pod, having the fridge run on battery doesn't seem to keep it very cold.  Is it possible and/or advisable to switch the fridge to propane while towing?
Jon
bhamster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhamster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 10:45pm
Have you tried turning it "up" all the way? (all the snowflake lights). I usually keep mine in the middle, but it always seemed pretty cool inside. I've never used a thermometer to really check though...
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2012 at 6:03am
Others here will disagree with this but I would never travel with the propane on. I don't think it's save to have propane flow in the event of a serious accident. 

Also, there are documented cases of explosions/fires at gas pumps caused by having that open flame next to the pumps so if you do travel with your fridge on propane, be sure to shut it down before entering the pump island.

Other things you might try include:

1. As previously mentioned, make sure you have your fridge turned as cold as it will get.

2. Pre-cool your fridge overnight at home before you leave.

3. Keep your fridge as full of food as you can get it.

4. If you stop to eat or rest, turn on the propane while you're stopped.

5. Freeze food before you go if you can. For example, if you're going on a 3-day trip and plan on eating homemade soup on the 3rd day, freeze the soup in a container and put it in the refrigerator section to thaw as you travel.

6. Keep the refrigerator door closed.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2012 at 11:07am
I pre-cool the frig, and also put an stainless steel bowl of ice-cubes in the freezer compartment.  That way, the freezer section will be ready to accept any frozen food without it thawing out. If there is room, I keep some cubes for the trip for drinks.
tsunami
Sixgunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixgunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2012 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Ratdog Ratdog wrote:

Others here will disagree with this but I would never travel with the propane on. I don't think it's save to have propane flow in the event of a serious accident.

No disagreement here. I think this is sage advice.

As mentioned previously, pre-cool the refrigerator before departure (normally AC). Then run on battery enroute.

feo fuerte y formal
BillvonGA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillvonGA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2012 at 8:33pm
The back of my fridge has 2 muffin fans.  I went on 120v about 10am, put some soda's in and by 4 pm they seemed not very cold.   The fins and other components accessed thru rear panels were too hot to touch so I guess it was working  ... but fans were not going.   However, by the next day the soda was good and cold. HOW do I test if the fans (and sensor on pipe) are good and in working order?

Thanks for any input. Getting ready for a 5 weeker up North.
Bill
2010 R-pod 176T (slide & tent)
2011 Tundra w/Tow Pkg
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camper Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2012 at 10:14pm
We have always traveled with the reefer powered electrically.  The alternator will do a fine job of charging your batteries and also running the fridge.  I do remember traveling in some tunnels, could have been Yosemite, with signs posted entering tunnels, something to the effect that no lp powered devices were to be lit while traveling in tunnels.  Maybe they know something we don't.  Just safer in my opinion to leave gas powered devices off while traveling.  Once at your destination, powering with gas is fine.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 lb.) Mini Dachshund
2013 Rpod 171HRE (Pods-of-Luck)
2005 Chev. Tahoe
kmcmurph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmcmurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2012 at 11:54pm
We have had pretty good success running the fridge on propane while towing. Just turn it off as advised, filling up the tow vehicle's gas, crossing bridges or tunnels. It seems to keep the fridge temp up. The other comments were really sound too.

Karl
Karl, Kerri and the hounds:: 5.4L '04 Expedition:: 2010 177
Tom and Carol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom and Carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 7:49am
The first time we tried propane while towing it didn't work for some reason.  Then we started using the battery power, but now we just turn it off until we get to the next campground.  It does warm up a little, but no problem in my opinion.
Tom and Carol
R-Pod 177
2006 F-150
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 8:18am
We always travel with propane on. Of course we turn it off before entering places such as gas stations. We do a lot of dry camping with little to no prep time on the front end. We usually go grocery shopping before a trip and packing frozen stuff does not work for us. Also, we don't have a battery option for our fridge. I've also travelled with my generator on if if have something cooking in the crockpot. This method automatically sets my fridge to AC power - no propane issues.

I agree with the said advice unless it doesn't work for your situation.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic