r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dometic Fridge and Propane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zilbub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 7:21am
Well, we used the propane while traveling and it did an excellent job without any problems.  We did pre-cool with AC and during the entire trip, the ice never began to melt.  Oh, I did have it turned up all the way.  What a great fridge.  I may try battery power again just to compare.  Thanks for all the comments.
Jon
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 7:30am

When I travel, I always have the frig powered by propane.  I'm not willing to risk my battery if I leave my frig on battery and the TV not running.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

Alex&Marie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex&Marie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 7:40am
We travel with our frig power by propane as well. The point about turning it off for refueling is an excellent one. 

Our previous experiences with Dometic refrigerators was in our sail boat. we sailed over 18,000 mile over 4 years and always had the Dometic on and powered by propane, even way offshore. The units seemed to be able to handle the tossing and pounding in a sailboat that is sometimes comparable to a rough country road. Our boat was a catamaran so it did remain fairly level which helped because I think these units do not perform well if they are not level. 

We never had any problems, but maybe we were just lucky. 

Keeping the propane sniffer working properly is a must in any event.
Alex and Marie
2012 R-pod 177, 2006 Toyota Tundra
turncoat3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turncoat3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 8:13am
we have been using our 2010 177 for three summers now and have not felt the need to use propane to cool food.  I pre cool the fridge for minimun of two days before leaving.  I put ice cube tray in freezer and have not had a problem freezing water.  I also use a camper fridge fan to circulate air.  Seems to work well.  Fridge at next to highest setting keeps the temp at about 45-48 unless it is really hot. I agree that I am nervous about traveling with propane on.
Ben & Lorrie
2010 RP177
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 8:34am
I always travel with mine on 12V. Even though lots of folks travel with the fridge on propane, I just don't feel comfortable going down the road with the gas on. We pre-cool the fridge before we leave and switch to 120V or propane when we make camp. I actually think it cools best using propane.

I don't think many larger RVs even have a 12V option for the fridge - it's 120V or propane only. I wonder if they have added safety features in the propane system that our pods don't have?
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 9:31am
Originally posted by BillvonGA BillvonGA wrote:

The back of my fridge has 2 muffin fans.  I went on 120v about 10am, put some soda's in and by 4 pm they seemed not very cold.   The fins and other components accessed thru rear panels were too hot to touch so I guess it was working  ... but fans were not going.   However, by the next day the soda was good and cold. HOW do I test if the fans (and sensor on pipe) are good and in working order?

Thanks for any input. Getting ready for a 5 weeker up North.

Per Dometic that sensor on the pipe in the back is triggered at 150 degrees, and they sell a different one that is triggered at 105 degrees if you wish to replace it and have those auxillary fans kick on more often.

You'll hardly ever be able to catch the things kick on, their positioning isn't really ideal for pushing out the hot air and instead just circulates it, and with that probe being the 150 degree one I've only been able to trick mine into running.

But if you just want to see that yes they do run if it gets that hot, take a plastic bag and put it over the top grate panel where you access your fridge on a hot day, the heat will build up and you'll be able to get them to cycle on.

Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by HuronSailor HuronSailor wrote:

I don't think many larger RVs even have a 12V option for the fridge - it's 120V or propane only. I wonder if they have added safety features in the propane system that our pods don't have?

The same as the POD. I just turn it off when we go through tunnels, gas stations, etc. A lot of times, we can't pre-cool ours because of HOA rules. We normally, just load the rig and go.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
Vallgrlx2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vallgrlx2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 10:17pm
We are new to RPodding, only having our R177 for a 3 months. We are going on a two week trip and want to keep items cold in the fridge. How to we keep fridge powered electrically? We do not want to use propane while traveling due to the risks involved.

Thank you

Vallgrl
2012 Toyota Highlander
2012 R177 RPod
Two Scotties

OurPod
bhamster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhamster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 10:44pm
Just switch it over to DC power (the battery icon) when you're driving, but make sure to switch it back to AC or propane when you park because it will drain your batteries pretty quickly. When we're on the road we usually just turn it off when we take breaks because it keeps the temp pretty well as long as you don't open it. Once we hit the road again we switch it back to DC power.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic