r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RECALL Letter for lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RECALL Letter for lights
    Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Eubank44 Eubank44 wrote:

Spoiler had been installed on my used 2011 Pod. Tried getting fender lights from Forest River. Gave up on them. Bought red and amber rectangular led lights at NAPA. Installed them myself and wired them in to side marker lights. Total cost of lights, wire and wire anchors approximately $45.

Well hello there fellow Kentucky Podder!!!
Eubank44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eubank44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 5:19pm
Spoiler had been installed on my used 2011 Pod. Tried getting fender lights from Forest River. Gave up on them. Bought red and amber rectangular led lights at NAPA. Installed them myself and wired them in to side marker lights. Total cost of lights, wire and wire anchors approximately $45.
Gary
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 10:59am
Originally posted by this_is_nascar this_is_nascar wrote:

What is Susan at FR email address?

Her address is sthornberg@forestriverinc.com but she may be on vacation or something. She hasn't been responding to any of my emails and she's usually very good about doing that.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 10:44am
What is Susan at FR email address?
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

Tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2012 at 10:19pm
It never hurts to give Susan a call. She has never let me down and usually goes above and beyond!!

Tink'rPod 174 Knoxville,TN,
IPodAlong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IPodAlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2012 at 9:11pm
I've read these posts on the recall for awhile now.  I bought my RPod from another individual so I thought it's probable that I won't get a letter.  I sent Susan an email with relevant information (vin #, etc.) in hopes that she could help me get the parts needed and work with me on someone in the area to do the install.  Haven't received any reply; sent it about a month ago.  (BTW, Susan was very good on helping with a defective propane regulator when I contacted her last fall.)  I should probably pick up the phone and call.  In my case, is contacting Forest River directly the proper avenue to take? 
2010 Rp 171
Towed with 2011 Ford Expedition
Co-pilots: Abby & Brownie
"No one can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." -- Anon
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2012 at 10:43am
Originally posted by tsunami tsunami wrote:

My dealer never penetrated the inner wall...just ran the wires laterally to the light assembly in the wall.

Nice.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 6:54pm
I do believe that an earlier post talked about a recall installation going into the rear of the Pod and then back into the shell.  The wiring comes down beneath the vinyl seam strip, so at some point the wiring has to penetrate the shell to tap into the rear light wires.  My dealer never penetrated the inner wall...just ran the wires laterally to the light assembly in the wall.
I think dealers found a much better and faster method of running the wires without going into the interior.
tsunami
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 10:59am
Originally posted by tsunami tsunami wrote:

Just got my Pod back from the FR dealer for light installation.  Several comments made to me by the installer.  If you don't have risers...when you go in...request shorter self-tapping screws for the fender light installation.  FR supplies quite long stainless screws...they extend really close to the tires if you don't have the risers!  My installers uses 1/2inch shorter screws so there is no chance that the tire tread could catch on the screws.
FR supplies 3M water-proof connectors, but the wire ends going into the fender light sockets are just sprayed with a 'water-proof coating' that rubs right off.  My dealer and I agreed that I should apply some Marine Gook to the backs of each light housing to protect the wire socket leads.
He did not...because he has been following the FR Recall instructions.  Even tho' the installation could be done faster and better than what FR instructed.
For example, the instructions state that the wires running down from the spoiler should be run into the rear interior and a hole drilled into rear wall to the right rear light assembly space.  After doing the first install, my dealer decided to run the spoiler wires down inside the vinyl strip and directly into the wall interior to the light without ever coming into the Pod's interior.  No exposed wires and no drilling inside the Pod.

Now I'm confused.  Everyone up to this point said the installation DID NOT require drilling into the shell, but you're contradicting that info.  Not sure what to believe anymore.  Did you see the installation instructions from FR?  I'm not doubting what you said, but have an issue, since up to this point, every other installation did not require a hole through the outside shell.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 5:10pm
Just got my Pod back from the FR dealer for light installation.  Several comments made to me by the installer.  If you don't have risers...when you go in...request shorter self-tapping screws for the fender light installation.  FR supplies quite long stainless screws...they extend really close to the tires if you don't have the risers!  My installers uses 1/2inch shorter screws so there is no chance that the tire tread could catch on the screws.
FR supplies 3M water-proof connectors, but the wire ends going into the fender light sockets are just sprayed with a 'water-proof coating' that rubs right off.  My dealer and I agreed that I should apply some Marine Gook to the backs of each light housing to protect the wire socket leads.
He did not...because he has been following the FR Recall instructions.  Even tho' the installation could be done faster and better than what FR instructed.
For example, the instructions state that the wires running down from the spoiler should be run into the rear interior and a hole drilled into rear wall to the right rear light assembly space.  After doing the first install, my dealer decided to run the spoiler wires down inside the vinyl strip and directly into the wall interior to the light without ever coming into the Pod's interior.  No exposed wires and no drilling inside the Pod.
tsunami
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic