r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New F150 towing - hitch issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leonlewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New F150 towing - hitch issues
    Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 11:55am
Just got my new 2012 F150 Fx4 super crew,....love my truck.  Previously towed our RP172 with Honda Pilot,...with equalizer 2 WD hitch.  Needless to say I wasn't a big fan of towing with the Pilot.
My WD Hitch doesn't drop low enough to use on the F150 and keep the Pod level. So I investigated a bit and decided to try a great adjustable hitch that drops to the perfect height,...its not a WDH,..but rated for 5000lbs.
The F150 has tow package with factory brake control, anti-sway, 3.73 axle ratio.  I took it for a test tow yesterday,...wow !!  Towing bliss! 
I need a 4 - 5 inch drop,...and its difficult or impossible to find WDH that works,..without expensive mods.   I'm gonna give this new hitch a try with the Pod, I don't think there will be any problems.
Any thoughts from you experienced podders would be appreciated.
R&T's Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R&T's Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 12:20pm
We tow with a 2007 F-150.  Don't use WDH, just a friction sway bar.  I towed the pod the first two seasons without the sway bar even, and just decided to add it at the start of this season more for insurance than anything else.  

If you check out our blog below and go back several months, you can find pictures about the installation of the friction sway control.  Rob
2010 R-Pod 175 2007 F-150 Super Cab R&T's Podding Blog

leonlewt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leonlewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 12:23pm
Thanks Rob,....will take a look.  
leonlewt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leonlewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 1:29pm
Just called my hitch shop,..they can get me a shank that lowers the ball the amount I need to use my WD hitch,..maybe I should just do that to be safe.
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by leonlewt leonlewt wrote:

Just got my new 2012 F150 Fx4 super crew,....love my truck.  Previously towed our RP172 with Honda Pilot,...with equalizer 2 WD hitch.  Needless to say I wasn't a big fan of towing with the Pilot.
My WD Hitch doesn't drop low enough to use on the F150 and keep the Pod level. So I investigated a bit and decided to try a great adjustable hitch that drops to the perfect height,...its not a WDH,..but rated for 5000lbs.
The F150 has tow package with factory brake control, anti-sway, 3.73 axle ratio.  I took it for a test tow yesterday,...wow !!  Towing bliss! 
I need a 4 - 5 inch drop,...and its difficult or impossible to find WDH that works,..without expensive mods.   I'm gonna give this new hitch a try with the Pod, I don't think there will be any problems.
Any thoughts from you experienced podders would be appreciated.

We use just a plain old 5" drop hitch for the Pod..

The Airstream is almost the same drop, and we do use a WDH with it no problem, but we use a longer drop/rise shank..
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Tom and Carol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom and Carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 9:49am
It sounds like your mind is made up about using a WDH, but your truck must be much better than my 2006 F150, and I, like R&T, use just the friction anti-sway bar with excellent results.
Tom and Carol
R-Pod 177
2006 F-150
MandB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MandB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 11:15am
We have a 2012 Tundra and a 2010 172 with the lift kit. The dealer we bought the 172 from was supposed to set up the hitch, sway bar, etc, but they delivered the trailer so that it was severely front high with a 2 inch drop hitch. I took everything to a trailer shop that noticed they had installed a ball with a 1 inch rise (can't believe I missed that), effectively decreasing my drop to 1 inch. They put on a standard ball and the trailer rides pretty level with a 2 inch drop. The Tundra rides pretty high. I dare say it is higher than the 150, so in order for you to need a 4 inch drop, I can only assume you do not have the 172 lifted. If that is the case, I would spend some money on that before doing anything with your hitch, because you are eventually probably going to want to do that and the modifications to your hitch that will be necessary. Even with the lift kit in my opinion the R-Pod is too low.
leonlewt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leonlewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 11:50am
The hitch shop is switching out the shank on my existing WDH to one with enough drop,..this will get the ball to the correct height,... they're taking back the old shank (used three times) and giving me the new one for 50 bucks extra,...then I'm set.  Thought cause I have the WDH, it would be nice to use it.  At first when I posted here,..I didn't think they could get the ball on the WDH any lower,...I'm a newbie,...much to learn.
leonlewt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leonlewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Tom and Carol Tom and Carol wrote:

It sounds like your mind is made up about using a WDH, but your truck must be much better than my 2006 F150, and I, like R&T, use just the friction anti-sway bar with excellent results.

Hi Tom,..I actually towed for a test drive with just a drop hitch at first,..and yes, it felt great,..much better than the pilot.  But seeing that I had the WDH anyway,..I thought, why not use it to be extra safe. Our trips this summer take us through serious mountains, ....can't wait!
cheers.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic