r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

filling freezer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: filling freezer
    Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 4:04pm
Just a question on filling the freezer. Once the freezer is full, has or does anyone fill the little space (with a slim enough package) at the bottom of the freezer compartment. I know that should be kept at least partial empty for air movement but the "boss" and I were just wondering. At camp we try to move those slim pieces up to the proper freezer area as soom as possible. But again just wondering..
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
2012 177.. "EHHH" R Pod" its a canadian thing..
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 4:14pm
Hey Ron,

We keep ice cube trays down in that space pretty much all of the time. We normally have the freezer packed pretty full and haven't noticed any problems. However, lots of folks here on the forum have had one or more problems with their refrigerators so we just may be lucky to have not experienced issues.

Seems, though, that there may be ample space for circulation between the freezer door and the racks and between the the back of the racks and the back of the freezer.

You might try leaving that low area full and see what happens. If you have trouble with cooling then keep that area empty. That freezer is so small that every cubic inch counts so I'd try to use it unless you run into problems.

Take care,
-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 4:18pm
Personally I took the freezer section out, I rarely carry Ice Cream or anything else that needs to be frozen frozen.  If it starts out frozen, I'll want it just cold by the time I'm going to cook.  It's fun to go out and make s special trip for Ice Cream.

I think I have more room without it, which allows for better circulation.  I also put a row of frozen water bottles above the veggie compartment, so when I do stop and don't which to propane/gas and cut the battery feed, it's stays cold (gas stops or short shopping).  This last 6 day trip there was still ice the bottles when we go home (six days later).  The temp for the whole fridge is normally around 40.

Lee  
P.S. I never run on lp when traveling.
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
R&T's Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R&T's Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 4:44pm
We do use our freezer nearly every trip.  It does a good job, but I try to only fill it half or so full.  I have noticed when I packed it completely full, things stay frozen, but items in the refrigerator don't stay as cold.  Rob
2010 R-Pod 175 2007 F-150 Super Cab R&T's Podding Blog

Camper Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camper Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 7:57pm
Just wanted to pass on my two cents worth.  Was recently at an Rpod dealer and was having my lp tank topped off.  The RV tech strongly suggested not ever using any gas appliances while traveling.  Even going as far as turning off the supply at the valves.  He had mentioned that should we ever drop the trailer at speed, it is quite possible that the lp tank could become disengaged and with the trailer sliding, a spark could set off any leaking gas.  'Nuff said.  We only use 12 volts from the tv to operate the reefer while traveling.  Years ago when traveling with a Norcold portable reefer/freezer we did run the car battery down, but only after running the reefer all night on the tv battery.  So that being said, you certainly could run the reefer while traveling and even going in for lunch or dinner.  When arriving at  your destination, then turn on the gas and let the reefer run on lp.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 lb.) Mini Dachshund
2013 Rpod 171HRE (Pods-of-Luck)
2005 Chev. Tahoe
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 9:48pm
Thanks all for your advice on the freezer.   
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 10:08pm
Oh yeah just wanted to say also, that I never pull the pod and run LP to freeezer. Always go with battery when traveling. Safety first at all times when I know the difference.
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
Heidi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 12:56pm
We like to put feeze pops in that space or the ice cubes and at times I have stuck a package of bacon or cold cuts that have been frozen prior in there. Lots of things will fit there.
we R-pod people
175 ,2 peeps and one small horse
ChaiPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChaiPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 1:26pm
We use our Freezer on every trip but especially on longer trips to keep food fresh for longer.  We usually put a few ice pucks in there for the snow-cone maker, frozen homemade hamburger patties or an extra packet of sausages.  

We always freeze some water bottles in the summer months before and during our trip to use as consumable icepacks and also to help keep the fridge filled and cold as we eat the food.  We foundthat constantly opening and closing the fridge to get drinks caused it to loose its coolness really quickly and certain foods such as milk would spoil quickly.

2009 r.pod 152

2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic