r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Owners Registry
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First R-POD!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 7:13am
We didn't buy the extended warranty. We've had our rpod for a little over 2 years now and didn't experience any major problems where the extended warranty would have helped us so we made the right decision.

Seems to me that most of the problems folks have had with their rpods occurred during the 1st year and those are covered by the standard warranty.

OTOH, as has been said, $150 is that much more money when compared to the total purchase price.

Also, I don't know if the extended warranty is transferrable to another owner if you sell your rpod but, if so, that could be a reason to buy it. Seems a fair number of folks trade-in or sell their rpods before they've owned it for 2 years and being able to offer that warranty to a buyer might help seal the deal.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
jasanders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 12:14pm
Alaska...you're sure to test the durability of the R-Pod! Careful on those rough roads. Have fun.
RP-151
Kamaka ukelele
97 Chev Silverado Shortbox
Luv'n AK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luv'n AK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 1:35am
Thanks all for the input into the extended warranty.  The $150 warranty extended the factory warranty for a year.  Although $150 wasn't alot to pay, we decided not to get it.  

We have taken our R-Pod out twice now.  One was an overnight using a generator with the fresh water tank filled at a campground with no hook-ups.  The second trip was a 4 night trip to a campground with full hook-ups.  We loved both trips and our R-Pod was great.  

The only issue was that after the first trip the screws holding the storage box under the dinette seat started to come out from the wall.  My husband screwed them back in and they survived the longer 2nd trip no problem.  I don't think we'll go back to tent camping either.  We are hooked!  
2 40 Somethings and Heidi, our pooch
2013 R-POD 177
2010 Toyota Tacoma

HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 8:41am
We need pictures!
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 9:13am
Originally posted by HuronSailor HuronSailor wrote:

We need pictures!

+1 on that!

You'd think that after owning our pod (and being on this message board) for over two years we'd get tired of seeing pictures of pods in campgrounds. But it's like an addiction. You new kids have to keep us supplied with our fix. (It's a rule I just made up.)
Traveling with Herb and the Boon-doggie

2010 r-pod 171 pulled by '11 Silverado
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Peggy L. Peggy L. wrote:

Originally posted by HuronSailor HuronSailor wrote:

We need pictures!

+1 on that!

You'd think that after owning our pod (and being on this message board) for over two years we'd get tired of seeing pictures of pods in campgrounds. But it's like an addiction. You new kids have to keep us supplied with our fix. (It's a rule I just made up.)
Times 2
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
rick350 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rick350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 6:24am
I was never offered any kind of extended warranty, which is unusual since, like car dealers, rv people would push such a product. For $150, sounds like a deal.
Rick & Pam
R-177
'12 GMC Canyon
cmjmoore View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmjmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 3:51pm
We just received our Surveyor SP 240 and the dealer did show us the extended warranty card and it does sound like a fair deal. He stated that it was between us and FR. I guess if you had a major failure it would be worth the price. Like many here we normally don't do extended warranties but I may change my mind on this one. Hope you guys have a wonderful time in your R-Pod, we loved our. I greatest fear for the Surveyor was that it wouldn't be as cozy as our pod but it is.
TRI-POD
Me, my Honey & Max our GSP
2013 Surveyor SP 240
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x2
5.7L V8
Seanl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seanl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 7:21am
I bought my Rpod used  when it was less than a year old. So I only got a 90 day Warranty. I took it out on a shakedown cruise  and the Air Conditioning failed. I took it right back to the dealer and they fixed it. I am not an extended warranty kind of guy but I would have gotten one at that point ,if I could have. I have not had any issues since but an early failure will make you rethink.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition

Kristin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 11:04pm
Hi All! The extended warranty for $150 is available to ALL Forest River product owners.  ALL!!  It is an option to cover the unit bumper to bumper for an additional year.  ALL Forest River Dealers are SUPPOSED to offer this to anyone that purchases a FR brand.  Not just r.pod, but ANYTHING manufactcured by or as a division of Forest River Inc.  Your pod (as do other brands) have components that have ADDITIONAL warranties included already.  The Fantastic Fan is a lifetime warranty, the plumbing fittings 25 yrs (I think), etc... But - this is a FACTORY warranty - NOT one of those Dealer Extended warranties.  The dealers do not make one cent off of these.  This is just an offer for an additional year direct from the factory.  I'm not sure (from memory) what all of the electronics, appliances etc cost - but... I know that the convection mic ALONE os more than $150 as is the Jensen TV in the 176 and Garage models.  The Jenson entertainment system is quite pricey as is the refer, A/C etc..  A bad axle that was built elsewhere and installed by us.. oh, I could go on and on, but you get the jest. 
I (personally) am not an aftermarket "extended warranty" purchaser.  When I purchased my last vehicle, as salesmen do, they offered me the ube-mega powertrain PLUS warranty for over $1000 and/or a $600 "gap insurance" policy.  I passed on the extended, but took the gap insurance.  Buying a NEW vehicle, I ALWAYS purchase extended from the OEM. 
No - they are not transferrable and no, a lot of the time, the owners that HAVE purchased them, had not needed to use them.  That's a GREAT thing - but, when I'm spending that kind of money on a purchase - I want to be ensured IF I have a problem the answer I hear is, "No problem Ms Griffin, that's covered, we'll get that right in and fixed".
To each his own - but, just wanted to clarify that the $150 option is from the factory and doubles your bumper to bumper "no questions asked" 1 year warranty.
New owners - if you declined at purchase - that doesn't mean you still can't get it.  Owners that were never offered it, depending on how recently you purchased, (if you're interested) we MAY be able to still get it to you.
~Kristin
Kristin Griffin
RSM Central
Forest River Inc.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic