r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Have you replaced your battery?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Footslogger03 Footslogger03 wrote:

We've had our 177 with the original Group 27 battery since last October. I just went out and checked the little digital voltmeter I have in one of the receptacles and it reads "13.63Volts" - - Of course we are plugged into shore power. So   ...I think we're good for now. But when this battery starts to go I would like to replace it with 2 Group 24's sitting side by side in the factory tray. I could live with 2 separate battery boxes but it would be "cleaner" (and a bit shorter) if I could get my hands on a plastic case that would hold 2 Group 24's. Haven't found one yet though. Maybe they don't exist ??

'Slogger

I could not find one made for the end to end application.. dual boxes look/work ok..

Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by bhamster bhamster wrote:

Looks like a great resource for 6V users, but I couldn't find any double boxes for 12V sizes. I like the extended box support idea... I'd just need to find a friend with a welder. 

Sorry.. it was just a link I had saved from research last year. I figure that when I do it, I will go to two 6v's.. less money than two 27's, and better amp hour capacity to boot.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
bhamster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhamster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 8:43pm
Yeah, I was surprised to see the price on T105's... does anyone make an AGM battery in that form factor?
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Footslogger03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by furpod furpod wrote:

Originally posted by Footslogger03 Footslogger03 wrote:

We've had our 177 with the original Group 27 battery since last October. I just went out and checked the little digital voltmeter I have in one of the receptacles and it reads "13.63Volts" - - Of course we are plugged into shore power. So   ...I think we're good for now. But when this battery starts to go I would like to replace it with 2 Group 24's sitting side by side in the factory tray. I could live with 2 separate battery boxes but it would be "cleaner" (and a bit shorter) if I could get my hands on a plastic case that would hold 2 Group 24's. Haven't found one yet though. Maybe they don't exist ??

'Slogger
I could not find one made for the end to end application.. dual boxes look/work ok..

=========================

Thanks for the pic. That's probably the route I will go. Glad to know that 2 Group 24 boxes fit end to end in the factory tray.

It's either that or a generator - - haven't decided yet.

'Slogger
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 2:15pm
I also found out that two type-47 batteries would not fit the OEM battery carrying tray!. With two of the smaller type-24 batteries sitting in battery boxes...they are very tightly squeezed against each other to fit on the tray.  If you are going to install dual type-47s or golf cart batteries, the batteries will either have to sit on a 'raised' platform installed above the OEM tray, or you are going to have to cut the OEM tray off the tongue and install a larger tray.
tsunami
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 2:54pm
We don't do any boondocking so extra batteries, etc. are not something we need but I was thinking that since so many of you do that kind of camping, FR is missing the boat by not offering an optional "Boondocking Package" that would include extra battery, extra propane tank, axle risers, LED lighting, and maybe a solar panel. Seems like there's a demand for a package like that.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic