r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear window leaks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear window leaks
    Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 6:12pm
Anyone having issues with their rear window?  I had mine replaced under warranty and it's been fine until a recent road trip during a heavy rainstorm. After setting up camp we noticed the wet dinette cushions in the back.

I think the rain was forced into the weep holes along the bottom of the frame and then couldn't actually weep out because of the angle of the back window. So it worked its way out thru the seam in the frame in the bottom middle of the window.

Any thoughts?
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
ChaiPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChaiPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 7:54pm
When was your window replaced? There was a recall on the back window as a result of a design flaw and the new ones have weep holes and are angled to let the water out instead of forcing it into the frame.

Another possibility is that the new window was installed upside down? or the seal needs replacing?

We had our rear window replaced under the recall but had to pay for labor as the pod was out of warranty.

2009 r.pod 152

2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 10:20pm
When was the recall? What model year/years are included in it?
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
ChaiPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChaiPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 8:47am
We have a 2009 152, possibly in the first batch to come off the line after looking at the range of serial numbers for the current lights safety recall.  We bought it used in the fall of 2010 the weekend the weather switched from summer to a very wet and rainy fall.

We read about the back window recall in one of the r,pod forums and called the RV delear back and they spoke to FR and FR sent the window to our local dealer for when we got home.

2009 r.pod 152

ChaiPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChaiPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 9:11am
I can't seem to find the exact thread now.  But basically the entire window was redesigned.  We haven't had a problem since it was replaced.  We also check the seals each year during winterization and dewinterization "just in case".

Many people seemed to have the rear window leaking issue for the early 2009 models.

Ours is a 152 and the replacement window does not sit flush completely with the curvature of the wall. We can see the screw body when sitting in the dinette.

2009 r.pod 152

HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 9:40am
The original window was very poorly designed and leaked like crazy. After one attempt to fix it, my dealer ordered me a new rear window, which was a much better design. This was done under warranty. Still, the window is designed to be used vertically, and water doesn't drain readily out of the weep holes due to the window's mounting angle. This same problem crops up on boats with opening portholes. If the cabin sides are angled in, water won't drain from the frame through the hole it's supposed to, and when you open the porthole water runs inside. We used to keep an old towel handy to hold under the portholes when opening them. 

The other day we had another frog-choker with the pod in her parking spot. There was water standing inside the window frame visible through the weep holes, which I blew out with an air compressor. Still, no water leaked inside the pod.

This reinforces my thought that water is being forced in while driving, so I'm thinking I may need to engineer some sort of shield over the weep holes to keep rain water out while driving. 

The window is mounted right side up and I have checked all around the window for breaks in the seal, all seems good. This fall I'll probably be removing/inspecting the window and frame area for water damage and sealing all possible water entry points. This is the sort of tiny nagging issue that can do real damage over the long term if not nipped in the bud. At least I don't have to worry about the pod sinking on top of everything else, ha.

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
ChaiPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChaiPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 6:00pm
Are you sure the leak is from the back window? Our side windows leak driving through a rainstorm as the water is pushed through that fuzzy strip used to keep bugs out that is between the panes.  If the weather looks bad, we roll up some paper towels behind that fuzzy stuff to catch any water that gets blown in.  We also cover the back with towels as the water that does get blown in will spray and drip and look similar to a back window leak from the sides.

2009 r.pod 152

Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by ChaiPod ChaiPod wrote:

Are you sure the leak is from the back window? Our side windows leak driving through a rainstorm as the water is pushed through that fuzzy strip used to keep bugs out that is between the panes.  If the weather looks bad, we roll up some paper towels behind that fuzzy stuff to catch any water that gets blown in.  We also cover the back with towels as the water that does get blown in will spray and drip and look similar to a back window leak from the sides.

Suggestion: Carry some of that blue painter's tape with you and use that to keep the water out. It goes on easy and sticks on great until you're ready to peel it off. It doesn't leave any adhesive behind and it doesn't remove paint on the windows. I keep a roll in my old convertible and use it to seal the front edge of the convertible top to the top of the windshield frame when I get caught in a rainstorm.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 8:29am
Pretty sure the leak is coming from the back, but I'll check the sides too now that you've mentioned it, thanks. I'll also take some tape with me, good idea too.

This is still not as frustrating as finding leaks on our last boat. A leak in the starboard galley cabinet could be coming in around a port forward handrail and working its way between the inner and outer hull. So basically when you got a leak you had to re-caulk everything you could see above the waterline. Grrr.
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camper Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 9:52am
I guess that's part of the fun of owning a boat.  Just a hole in the water to throw money into.  Haven't experienced any leaks so far.  But now I know where to look.  Fortunately, all of the interior on the sides is aluminum.  No chance of rotting, or for that matter, sinking.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 lb.) Mini Dachshund
2013 Rpod 171HRE (Pods-of-Luck)
2005 Chev. Tahoe
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic