r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod wish list, what we love, what we would love to see
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seal Care

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lohnesdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seal Care
    Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 8:25pm
Greetings,
We have a 182G and was wondering if the seal for the grarage door (and all the seals for that matter - including the slide out seals) should have something put on them to extend their life.  What type of spray (conditioner or whatever you call it) should be used?  We want all the seals to last as long as possible as we plan on keeping our R-pod for a long time.  And speaking of seals, what wax do you use to help protect the gel coat.  Thank you much!
EscPod
2012 R-pod 182G
2012 Chevy Ext Cab Silverado 5.3 4x4
nebrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nebrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 12:03pm
Good questions - as a new owner of a 182G mysef, I am interested as well.  I've already had an issue with the garage seal "sticking" to the garage door, and it has me wondering if there is additional steps I need to be taking to preserve the seals.
2012 RP 182G "OurPod"
TV 2006 Jeep Commander Limited V8
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 1:55pm
Camping World has an excellent slide-out seal lubricant: Protect-All Dry Seal Lubricant.  Comes in an aerosol can for about $12.  I have used silicon sprays, garage seal lubes, etc. nothing worked as well as the Dry Seal.  After spraying, you should use a soft rag to spread the lube evenly over the seal.  I try to spray both sides of the seal.

This lubricant coating does not not attract grit after it has been absorbed by the rubber. Rubbing grease on the seals will collect dirt which can slowly abrade the material.
tsunami
lohnesdl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lohnesdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 3:45pm
EscPod
2012 R-pod 182G
lohnesdl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lohnesdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 3:46pm
Thank you very much...good ole Camping World...what doesn't it have? :-)
EscPod
2012 R-pod 182G
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camper Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 7:56pm
Reasonable prices.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 lb.) Mini Dachshund
2013 Rpod 171HRE (Pods-of-Luck)
2005 Chev. Tahoe
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racer|X| Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 8:39pm
I have a 182g and puchased the seal treatment in a can....spray on foam and let dry.  Seems to do the job.  The garage doesn't stick when I open it.
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 9:13am
I assume as long as they stay wet and have plenty of fish to eat that seals will do just fine caring for themselves in the wild!    LOLLOLLOL

Seriously though I just used a bit of lithium grease on my garage seals just rubbed it into the foam a bit and mine haven't stuck since then.  Might need to redo it again soon but they are doing much better than before when the garage would just nearly rip the foam from the channel.
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racer|X| Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 8:00pm
For the garage units....has anyone here applied a seal and or weather stripping or something similar to the underside of the garage "hood / door?".  I was thinking about doing this...you can see where the seal sits on the door.  I was thinking of applying that felt material weather seal stripping so it wouldn't stick and still seal well.

Thoughts?  Good idea?  Bad?  Try it and report back?

X
GArpoder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GArpoder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 1:16pm
I have recently had my seal replaced under warranty and have considered your idea as well. Have you tried adding the additional seal, yet?
2013 182g
2010 Expedition
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic