r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

air conditioning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by 69boss 69boss wrote:

My AC doesn't seem nearly as cold as it was when we first got the Pod.  It was replaced under warranty a couple of years ago and now the cold air is only 10 - 17 degrees different from the air going into the filters.  I got a 10 degree differencel in West Virginia on a very hot, humid day.  I get15-17 degree difference in Colorado.  The coldest it blows is about 60 degrees after it's run for a couple of hours.  Is this typical or does your AC freeze you like I remember mine doing?

I should mention that I just had it serviced with the usual cleanings and so on for $240 - no difference.

Thanks- Bob
Hi Bob - definitely call Dometic.  Especially so that they can tell you how to check the unit yourself.  Here's the thing, yes, they are "sealed" units.  But, it's seal that Susan (rpod parts mgr) can provide to you.  You can take off the seals {do as Dometic suggests} and reseal with factory sealant.  You MAY also be able to get your answer straight from Susan.  She is Warranty, Parts AND Service.  And we document supplier issues if/when there are any, and she may know something already, that could help.  You can send her an email at sthornberg@forestriverinc.com.
~Kristin  
Kristin Griffin
RSM Central
Forest River Inc.
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 7:58am
Good luck calling Dometic. I recently called them with an A/C issue, and the only way they could have been less helpful was if they had simply hung up the phone on me.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
69boss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69boss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 8:07am
Thanks all for the suggestions.  I finally decided to open the evaporator box to see if there were any leaks and discovered that the short piece of flexible ducting that connects the evaporator fan outlet to the vents in the ceiling unit was not connected.  The double sticky tape was not stuck to the upper outlet, so the cold air was not being properly directed.  Hard to explain, but after I resealed it with new sticky back tape, it is working like it used to.  I also hosed out the evaporator fins, but didn't see any dust or debris.

I think the technician who had replaced the unit 2 years ago simply left the duct disconnected and the tech who serviced it recently didn't bother to open the evaporator box as part of the service.  Annoying, but impossible to prove and I'm just glad I got it working right again.Smile
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 9:48am
Good to hear you got it working.. without A/C the pod is just a cute tent. Wink

Ours seems to still be chillin' like crazy this year, but I will for sure keep an eye on the connections inside there.

Maybe kymooses should check it on their pod.. hint hint..
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 9:53am
Originally posted by furpod furpod wrote:

without A/C the pod is just a cute tent.

Ha!

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by furpod furpod wrote:

Good to hear you got it working.. without A/C the pod is just a cute tent. Wink

Ours seems to still be chillin' like crazy this year, but I will for sure keep an eye on the connections inside there.

Maybe kymooses should check it on their pod.. hint hint..

Oh well, one more thing I need to learn about servicing the Pod myself I guess.  Is this a from the roof inspection or an internal one?  I sure don't see myself on that roof anytime in my future!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic