r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My First PodMod - Sewer Hose Carrier part 1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3rl3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My First PodMod - Sewer Hose Carrier part 1
    Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 11:57pm

M3rl3n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3rl3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 12:00am
Edited -
M3rl3n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3rl3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 12:02am

M3rl3n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3rl3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 12:03am
Edited -
M3rl3n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3rl3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 12:05am
Hi All,

Fairly simple mod. I was dis-satisfied with the original hose carrier that came with our 2011 R-Pod 177. It didn't come with a hose, so I went to Wally's and got a hose of decent length. Of course I knew when I go it that the hose would never fit in the stock carrier, so right there my mind started churning. (typical engineer)

Parts:
1/2 the original hose carrier
5 self tapping metal screws
5"x5" PVC fence post cover
5"x5" PVC fence post cover cap
Brass female hose adapter (NMP into the cap)
Brass Male - Male adapter - for flexibility of hose connections
Brass hose adapter cap

Process:
Decided to mount the new carrier just ahead of the black tank because that had the most mounting options and the added benefit of protecting the black tank and drain to some degree.
I cut the original hose carrier in half:

Painted the PVC post cover and cap flat black.
While that dried, figured out the mount point for the "original half": drilled the holes into the frame and lightly mounted the "original half".

(of course no pictures during) - (I may fill the square to round gaps with expanding foam, trim it, then paint it to match)

After the paint dried, I held the cap approximately where I thought it would go, and then held the post cover up and marked for length. Length does not have to be perfect... with the length of the original half sliding into the post cover, it ends up being a good looking finish.

After I cut to length (making sure that the cut end goes into the cap end so the exposed end is kept clean, sharp and square) I used a small piece of the cut off slipped lightly over the original half, then measured from the front of the frame to the front edge of the small part of the post cover. Then taking the small piece and the cap, move over to the door side and measure back from the front of the frame to the small piece with the cap on it; This will provide placement for the cap.

Next drill the correct size hole for the hose adapter to be screwed into the post cover cap. This is best done before mounting the cap to the frame. Screwing the hose adapter into the cap by hand will cut the threads. Nothing else should be needed if the proper size hole is drilled, but if it is loose, apply some silicone to the threads inside the cap.

Drill two holes in the top of the cap, then use that to mark the hole placement on the frame. Drill those holes and mount the cap to the frame.

Then slide the post tube over the original half (taking the original half off the frame to do this - and laying both out on the driveway while doing the cap measurement will allow the plastics to heat up enough that they slide together easily).

Once they are slid together, put the cut end of the post cover into the cap. If you have a helper, have them stabilize the cap as you slide the two parts in and out to get the proper required length.
Once length is established, lightly screw the original half back onto the frame - leave it loose so it moves around.

Go back to the cap end and pry / pull the post cover out making sure to support the weight, apply some PVC glue to the cap and the cover and fit them back together. Hold until solid. I also added a screw on the bottom of the cap, up into the cover.

Re-touch the paint as needed.

Now - MORE than enough room.

and now an option: If the other half of the original tube is used on the other side, then there is some additional storage room for whatever.... just make sure that whatever goes in, it can be extracted again.

The hose connection on the door side, of course allows for cleaning out the carrier.

Good Luck
Dan

(still need to do a sig - but we do know that it will be based on:)

5 P's in R-Pod - 2 Peps & 3 Pups

Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by M3rl3n M3rl3n wrote:

Hi All,
Fairly simple mod. I was dis-satisfied with the original hose carrier that came with our 2011 R-Pod 177. It didn't come with a hose, so I went to Wally's and got a hose of decent length. Of course I knew when I go it that the hose would never fit in the stock carrier, so right there my mind started churning. (typical engineer)
I for one shared in your dissatifcation with the carrier and we have very similiar solutions.  Great minds think alike.  Here's a link to my hose carrier. Although I just copied it from someone else.

LeeStar

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic