r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hood River vs. Regular Edition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whispurr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hood River vs. Regular Edition
    Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 11:44am
We're having a little trouble deciding between the regular edition or the Hood River edition R-Pod.  I can get an awesome deal on the regular edition by driving from WA to MI, or a good deal by driving from WA to CA.  The Hood River is going to cost us about $1k more when all is said and done.  (Figuring in cost of gas, hotels on the trip, cost of trailer, etc.)

Thoughts?

Thanks!
wallawallaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 12:54pm
I would buy and I did the HRE...Better road clearance, Few other extras. Might want to think about dealer support once you have bought your unit. $1000.00 still might be able to negotiate at dealer in WA.
Best of luck
WWRBeer
WWRon,2012 RP177 HRE "Eye Pod",2010 Ford F-150 4x4
9/11 Never Forget.
NRA Life Member, Amsoil dealer www.lubedealer.com/wallawallaron
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camper Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 1:09pm
We have a 2013 HRE 171.  The extra clearance is definitely worth having, according to others who have added the lifts.  Some who have added the lifts say the cost installed is only a couple of hundred dollars.  I would suggets you make the deal on the non HRE and either have that dealer install the lifts or have it done elsewhere.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 lb.) Mini Dachshund
2013 Rpod 171HRE (Pods-of-Luck)
2005 Chev. Tahoe
whispurr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whispurr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 1:30pm
Thank you for your responses. 

I've tried working with the only dealership around here, they want $7k more for them here and won't move on price.  They insist they can't keep them in stock at that price (though the 182G we're looking at is going on 4 weeks in their showroom.)  I don't mind the little road trip, if it weren't for the added expense I'd be quite excited about it!

So the Hood River - it has extra insulation.  Do you think that's going to cause a noticable reduction in hearing sounds outside the trailer?  I'm sensitive to noise, so that's a factor to consider.

Something else I've read is that the Hood River has more floor support.  Is that true?  Anybody know?  My husband is a big guy, so that could be a factor as well.

Anybody know when snow hits the Siskiyous?

Adding the risers on is great advice.  That addresses one issue and maybe it's all we'll need to do.  I just want to make sure we get the best option for us.  This is a really big purchase for us, I don't want to mess it up!

Thanks again,
Teresa

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 3:13pm
 The dealer you are looking at are they in Oregon or Washington?  I know the large dealer in The South of Portland area has some good prices also there is a new dealer in the Pasco WA. area, might check with them Blue Dog Rv.

WWR
9/11 Never Forget.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 3:14pm
 The dealer you are looking at are they in Oregon or Washington?  I know the large dealer in The South of Portland area has some good prices also there is a new dealer in the Pasco WA. area, might check with them. 

WWR
9/11 Never Forget.
whispurr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whispurr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 3:33pm
I don't know if I'm allowed to say what dealerships I've looked at or am looking at.  There is a big one that has locations all over the Puget Sound, they want $23k for them.  I've checked Blue Dog, they are expensive as well.  I haven't found any good deals online in Oregon, oddly.  The regular one that is being held for me in Michigan is $15,995, the Hood River one in CA is $17,495.

The one in MI is ready now so I could go get it any time.  The one in CA won't be there until around the first week in Sept, which has me a little concerned because I don't want to get caught on the other side of the Siskiyous and have an early snowstorm hit.  I've never pulled a trailer before, so the thought of doing mountain passes is slightly nerve-wracking, doing it in snow and/or ice would basically have me camping on the other side for 9 months.  LOL

On the other hand, I'm familiar with the drive to SoCal, and while there are some wicked passes, it's the known evil.  Driving to MI has mountain passes too, and other than the Cascades in WA, I'm unfamiliar with them so I don't know how they compare to the Siskiyous and the nasty Grapevine.  It would be a more interesting drive because it's one I've not taken past mid-Montana before, so new territory is always fun to see. 

We've been going back and forth on this for weeks and I need to come to a conclusion by Monday-ish. 

Thanks,
Teresa
bhamster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhamster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 10:26pm
Check out Broadmoor RV in Pasco, WA. We drove out there from Bellingham to buy our HRE and it was well worth the drive.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 1:28pm
Teresa,
What are you going to tow the POD with?
Are you going to install hitch if TV needs one?
You also will need a break controller installed for the TV.
I would go to SOCAL better weather less large Grades on return.
Make you first trip as easy as you can on yourself. Lots to learn on pulling a Trailer.
Keep asking questions we all will help the best we can.
WWR
9/11 Never Forget.
whispurr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whispurr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 2:32pm
Towing it with a Ford Ranger v6, 4.0L - towing capacity is 5,600lb, truck weighs 4,900 lbs.
I've talked to both dealerships about needed hitch-work, including the break controller.

There's so much to consider between the two.  The one in CA costs $1,630 (just trailer and taxes - not figuring in trip costs or hitch-work) more than the one in MI but is 2 days closer (thus the trip would be cheaper).  It's a Hood River vs. regular edition.  But it won't be here until early September which concerns me for a couple of reasons - possibility of early snow, possible delays in trailer delivery, no summer left to use it in WA.  And of course there is the whole trip to consider.  I'm not familiar with the mountain passes between here and MI, but I assume they are doable.  My plan is to take it as slow and easy as I need to.  The trip to and from CA is pretty boring for me, the trip to MI would be more fun.  The MI trailer is being held for me so I'd feel bad not getting it now too.  Both dealerships have been great in working with me. 

Because the one in MI is being held, I need to make my decision by like, tomorrow.  It's not fair to have them keep holding that trailer if I end up getting the one in CA.

I'll be doing this on my own.  I'm married, but hubby has to work to pay for my trailer!  :)  I should mention, I had a motorhome in the past so the whole RV thing isn't new to me, just the trailer aspect.  That's going to be very different than driving one big unit.

Teresa
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic