r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > RpodNation Downtime and Maintenance > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power?? newbie question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power?? newbie question
    Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 3:18pm
Just bought a R177 2011.

Took it on a maiden mountain voyage.

When plugged in all electrical works.

When unplugged, I have very little power. Is there a switch? Does it sound like the convertor is shot?

Batteries have full charge. No doubt.

Also:
How does one know that the battery is being charged when driving?

The manufacturer's manual does not address either of these well.

bhamster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhamster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 4:47pm
What do you mean by "very little power"? 

The converter is off while unplugged.

The only way to tell if the battery is being charged while driving is to install an ammeter on the charge line.
Dennis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 5:32pm
The lights and fan don't go on. The slider moved out slowly and unwillingly on our trip and after two days slowly slid in. It doesn't move at all now after I trickle charged the battery.

I plug it in to AC power and everything works.

bhamster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhamster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 5:35pm
It sounds like a dead battery to me (possibly because of a bad charger). What's the voltage of the battery when unplugged?
Dennis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 5:51pm
I think you're right. I just connected a newer re charged battery and it works fine. I now realize that a recharged bad battery may look good at first but loses power very quickly.

Thanks for your response.
bhamster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhamster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 6:06pm
Also keep in mind that the battery gauge will always show "full" when connected to shore power, but it's only showing the charge voltage of the converter, not the resting battery voltage. You'll need to disconnect from shore power (and preferably from any load) for a while to get an accurate reading.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic