r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Awning question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Awning question
    Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 5:36pm
I want to simply adapt a tarp to use as an awning. Does anyone know where I can get some type of hardware that slides into the r-dome groove on the trailer?

Thanks
Jim
Marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 5:58pm
Take your tarp to a place that does heavy duty sewing and have them sew in a rope that fits the rdome track.
If you want something done right, do it yourself!

2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra Limited 5.7 Litre
MTB Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTB Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 12:00am
I made one for our RPod using this tarp:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000C3MIL4/ref=aw_d_var_2nd_sporting-goods_txt?colid=35MIXDP0JS4LA&coliid=I1FH4I9LNXVKYV&vs=1
It's a nice lightweight, yet durable tarp made out of tent fabric that so far has held up in rain and wind. I used 3/8" rope, I believe, wrapped the end of the tarp around it and stitched it down using my standard sewing machine. I left three or four feet of rope on each end so that the total length of rope is slightly longer than the rail. I slide it into the rail and knot both sides of the rope so it's snug. I have been using two standard tent poles, but I'm going to try a third taller pole in the middle for better rain drainage hopefully.
Marila
Pete & Marila
Sacramento, CA
2012 R Pod 177
2001 Ford F150 Crew Cab
The McLane's View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The McLane's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 12:38pm
MTB Pod:  do you have a picture of that?
Pudderpod

Henry & Vicki

2010 RP-175 - Successfully towed by our Touring Pacifica 4L
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 10:15am
We have a 177/2012 new this year, this last outing we put up our dome then unzipped the front panel and rolled up the sides. When we put away the dome we left the front off and the sides rolled up, much easier and less cumbersome to deal with. As of now, that is how we are leaving the dome. I believe it will be much simpler to put up the dome. If we need the front on we will just zipper it on after we have the dome up. We are going to algonquin park Sept. 17 so will most likely put the front on as it will be cool by then. Was also looking for a tarp, and will use the 3/8 rope with tent material if this doesn't work out.   
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
2012 177.. "EHHH" R Pod" its a canadian thing..
MTB Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTB Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 12:07pm
Pudderpod,
Here are a couple of pictures. My tarp size is 8x12, but I am thinking about ordering the 12x12 size so that it will fit the full width of the rail. The only problem I have had with our current one is that with only the two tent poles, it tends to collect rain water in the middle, and we have to dump it off occasionally. So I've ordered a third pole to put in the middle so that the rain will hopefully run off the sides so it doesn't sag in the middle. For fair weather, the two poles work perfectly.
Initially, I had the rope on the front end tied to the frame (like you see in the picture), then pulled it tight at the back end and knotted it, but the most recent time we used it, we knotted both ends, and it worked great. So if I make another one, I won't need to leave so much rope at the ends.
Marila
Here are a couple of pictures.

Pete & Marila
Sacramento, CA
2012 R Pod 177
2001 Ford F150 Crew Cab
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Footslogger03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 5:24pm
That looks grreat and airy. Have you ever thought of going with a telescoping aluminum pole that attached to feet mounted on the side of the Pod. Just wonder if that would eliminate the need for staking out the poles with rope.

'Slogger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Footslogger03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 5:26pm
Did you sew the side pieces on separatedly    ...like wings ? The one closest to the door looks taperred.

'Slogger
MTB Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTB Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 10:08pm
Slogger,
I can't quite picture what your talking about with the poles, but it sure sounds interesting. I'd love to not have the guy lines to trip over. 

It's not a taper on the tarp, I think it just looks that way because of the curve of the front of the pod. I kept the tarp square (or rectangular), and simply rolled the end of it over the rope and stitched it down. I didn't stitch the entire rope to the tarp, just stitched the tarp to itself so it looks like the drawstring on a pair of sweatpants, but then I purposely caught the rope in my stitching in a few places so it wouldnt pull out. It's a pretty basic setup but works well. I got the idea from the T@B users group--we used to own one before the RPod. I wish they made an awning for the RPod like they have for the T@B. It's custom made by thermarest, fits the curve of the trailer perfectly and holds up to incredibly strong winds and rain. But we have a lot more space and a bathroom with the RPod, so I guess that's a good enough trade off!

Marila
Pete & Marila
Sacramento, CA
2012 R Pod 177
2001 Ford F150 Crew Cab

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Footslogger03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by MTB Pod MTB Pod wrote:

Slogger,
I can't quite picture what your talking about with the poles, but it sure sounds interesting. I'd love to not have the guy lines to trip over. 
It's not a taper on the tarp, I think it just looks that way because of the curve of the front of the pod. I kept the tarp square (or rectangular), and simply rolled the end of it over the rope and stitched it down. I didn't stitch the entire rope to the tarp, just stitched the tarp to itself so it looks like the drawstring on a pair of sweatpants, but then I purposely caught the rope in my stitching in a few places so it wouldnt pull out. It's a pretty basic setup but works well. I got the idea from the T@B users group--we used to own one before the RPod. I wish they made an awning for the RPod like they have for the T@B. It's custom made by thermarest, fits the curve of the trailer perfectly and holds up to incredibly strong winds and rain. But we have a lot more space and a bathroom with the RPod, so I guess that's a good enough trade off!
Marila

==============================

Interesting coincidence     ...we had a T@B before buying our R-Pod too !!

I guess my wording wasn't clear. What I tried to explain was a scenario where the poles that are now resting on the ground would be telescoping/adjustable and angled back toward the outer wall of the Pod and attached to feet that are mounted on the Pod.

We want an awning but don't want to go through what we did with the Thermarest Add-a-Room. It was more work than we wanted to go through and once we got it set up it didn't allow for the type of air flow we desired. Bottom line is that we want a "sun shade" that is easy to drop and raise and does not interfere with ventillation.

Thanks for your information and pictures. I like what you've done. We've been looking at a "Box Awning" made by a company called Carefree In Colorado    ...but it most likely won't fit due to its length and the curved ceiling lines of the Pod.

'Slogger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic