r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Awning question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTB Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 10:40am
Yes, we had the add-a-room too, but never used it, that's why we never bothered to get the RDome. We also had the the awning, which was much more open and easy to set up. We used it almost every time we camped since the T@B was so "cozy"! 

I did buy a kelty standalone shelter last year when they had it on sale at REI. It was nice for early season camping here in Oregon since we frequently get showers. We used it mainly when we camped with others and put it over the picnic table so we'd have a dry place to hang out. But my tarp/awning has been very nice for being able to keep shoes and things right outside the door and have them stay dry. 

I'm always on the lookout for a good awning that will work with our pod though, so keep us all posted on the "Box Awning"

Marila
Pete & Marila
Sacramento, CA
2012 R Pod 177
2001 Ford F150 Crew Cab
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Footslogger03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 11:25am
Originally posted by MTB Pod MTB Pod wrote:

Yes, we had the add-a-room too, but never used it, that's why we never bothered to get the RDome. We also had the the awning, which was much more open and easy to set up. We used it almost every time we camped since the T@B was so "cozy"! 
I did buy a kelty standalone shelter last year when they had it on sale at REI. It was nice for early season camping here in Oregon since we frequently get showers. We used it mainly when we camped with others and put it over the picnic table so we'd have a dry place to hang out. But my tarp/awning has been very nice for being able to keep shoes and things right outside the door and have them stay dry. 
I'm always on the lookout for a good awning that will work with our pod though, so keep us all posted on the "Box Awning"
Marila

========================

Will do. The main thing that appeals to me about the "box awning" is that it stays in place - - never needs to be taken off of the camper. Then again    ...the mounting is more complicated and it's heavier. We might try something like yours, but will work on making the legs telescopic and have them aiming back toward the camper and attach to feet that are mounted on the Pod. That will require a "pocket" along the outer edge and a horizontal pole for weight and stability, but it will eliminate the need for the guy lines.

'Slogger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Footslogger03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 12:26pm
Your last post made me reflect back on our "T@B days"     ...and truth be told, if I could get my hands on an awning (light weight Thermarest-like) awning that fed through the track of the Pod I'd probably go for it. We just didn't like the "Add-a-Room because of the work required to set it up and the sauna-like conditions it created. Our R-Dome is brand new and in the box. We got the dealer to throw it in and figured it's a good "selling feature"     ...if the day ever comes that we want to get another camper. But that won't be for a while because we really like the Pod.

'Slogger
MTB Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTB Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 12:36pm
I've wondered myself if the T@B awning would fit the Pod. The rail is the same size, and the curve is similar. I wonder if they started making them again when Little Guy started making the T@B's a couple of years ago? Hmmm... Research time. :)
M. 
Pete & Marila
Sacramento, CA
2012 R Pod 177
2001 Ford F150 Crew Cab

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Footslogger03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 2:30pm
Well    ...here are a couple pics - - one of our original T@B awning and one of the newer Thermarest awning. I wouldn't dream of trying to adapt the old style rubberized canvass awning to the Pod    ...but the "tent fabric" Thermarest awning has potential. On the T@B the awning draped down on both sides but given the longer roof line and greater height of the Pod it would sit higher.

BSAJim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSAJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2012 at 7:12pm
Rather than sweing a rope, I simply used these hooks available from Camping World. The black plastic rod slides into the channel, and creates a tab with grommet for hitching up any type of tarp you want.

Happy Trails!

Jim & Carmen
Jim & Carmen - San Jose, CA
r-pod 177 and V-6 Highlander
Leaflin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leaflin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 9:32pm
I used Keder Awning Rope which I purchased from www.sailrite.com
My poles are different sizes of PVC pipe which along with the shockcord poles in the dome make it freestanding.

Leaf-Pod 173
97 Ford Explorer
http://www.leaflin.net
Neversweat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neversweat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2013 at 11:02pm
I like the design and look on your awning mod. Do u have any other pics, measurements, or plans? 
Thanks 
Leaflin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leaflin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Neversweat Neversweat wrote:

I like the design and look on your awning mod. Do u have any other pics, measurements, or plans? 
Thanks 

Thank You
It is 9 feet 6 inches wide and 7 feet 6 inched deep.
The shock cord poles, which form the dome, go diagonally to pockets sewn in each corner.
I'll take some more photos next time I put it up.
It is free standing with no guy wires.
Leaf-Pod 173
97 Ford Explorer
http://www.leaflin.net
Thinker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 2:40pm
Here is one from PahaQue

pahaquecustom.com
"The best is yet to come"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic