r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Towing a182g w/Honda Pilot 2WD?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racer|X| Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 8:07pm
As a 182g owner....I would NOT suggest you buy it if that is your tow vehicle.  I just dont see it, no way.  I even wish I had more horses or different tow at times and I am rated for 6800# with a V-8 4-wheel drive vehicle.

Don't do it.  I recommend the 182-g but you need a real tow vehicle, or better one I mean.

X
waltershrek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waltershrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 1:02am
I am  so depressed!!! I just spent $31 big ones plus financing on a TV I can't even tow an Rpod with. I truly appreciate everyone's honest advice, but after the first few posts I can't bear to read anymore. I have to be frank and say that I did not do my homework before purchasing the TV. I guess I assumed too many things; from listening to the Rpod promos I figured that if a "small car or Minivan could tow it", so could a brand new 2wd drive Pilot. I'll double check the numbers in the owners manual one last time, but it looks like I'm doomed to 5 years of payments till I consider an Rpod again, since I got the wrong TV. Oh well, i'll retire to my backyard now and talk to Jack and Jim for a few hours. Thanks fellas!  Dead
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 8:02am
Walter - I feel so badly for you. Before resigning yourself to 5 non-rpod years, you might call up your Honda salesman, explain your situation, and see if there's some kind of deal he/she can work out for you. If your Pilot is brand new with few miles, you may not come out terribly bad on the deal and you'll be buying 5 years of happiness. I think the Honda Ridgeline can tow the rpods but I'm not familiar with the entire Honda line so there may be other models that can handle the task.

Good luck. I hope everything works out for you.
-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 2:44pm
That really sucks.  I'd like to suggest looking at the pop-up campers.  Not a "cool" as an rpod maybe, but you should find something that's towable.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

Seanl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seanl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by waltershrek waltershrek wrote:

I am  so depressed!!! I just spent $31 big ones plus financing on a TV I can't even tow an Rpod with. I truly appreciate everyone's honest advice, but after the first few posts I can't bear to read anymore. I have to be frank and say that I did not do my homework before purchasing the TV. I guess I assumed too many things; from listening to the Rpod promos I figured that if a "small car or Minivan could tow it", so could a brand new 2wd drive Pilot. I'll double check the numbers in the owners manual one last time, but it looks like I'm doomed to 5 years of payments till I consider an Rpod again, since I got the wrong TV. Oh well, i'll retire to my backyard now and talk to Jack and Jim for a few hours. Thanks fellas!  Dead

I am sorry that you cannot tow the Rpod. Not all minivans can tow the Rpod and I don't know of a car that can tow the rpod
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition

rphil70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rphil70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 4:21pm
We tow our RPod 172 with a 2006 4wd Honda Pilot, we have a load leveling hitch, electric breaks etc..   I have no problems.  Have towed extensively this summer. 12-13 mpg at 55mph, Perhaps you can trade in your 2wd for a 4wd Pilot. All 2012 4wd have a 4500 lb capacity.   I have to say one of the most important towing features that I invested in, is the load leveling hitch, with a Pilot I would have to say its required.  Good luck.  
leonlewt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leonlewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 5:53pm
I towed a 172 with 2006 4wd Honda Pilot, with WDH, brake controller, tranny cooler.  It definitely was adequate,...especially in more level to moderate terrain. But like I said before,...IMO the gas mileage was poor.  What I didn't like about it, was towing in mountainous terrain, and busy freeways. I like to call on a little power when needed,...and feel stable while doing it.  So maybe it was more personal preference or tolerance on my part.  Many people on this forum may have been totally fine with my previous setup. 

Seanl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seanl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by leonlewt leonlewt wrote:

I towed a 172 with 2006 4wd Honda Pilot, with WDH, brake controller, tranny cooler.  It definitely was adequate,...especially in more level to moderate terrain. But like I said before,...IMO the gas mileage was poor.  What I didn't like about it, was towing in mountainous terrain, and busy freeways. I like to call on a little power when needed,...and feel stable while doing it.  So maybe it was more personal preference or tolerance on my part.  Many people on this forum may have been totally fine with my previous setup. 

the 172 is 630 lbs lighter that the 182G and the tongue weight is 135lbs heavier on the 182G
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition

Racer|X| View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racer|X| Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 8:49pm
As Seani stated and to clarify, there is a big difference in towing a R-Pod and towing a 182g model.  If you want to consider the lighter, shorter models then sure.  Just sharing an honest first hand experience.  The 182g is bigger and heavier.  A 172, perhaps.  

X
jasanders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2012 at 12:18pm
It sure is easy for newbies to get in trouble choosing a tow rig. Dealers don't help. When we shopped for a RV we wanted to buy something that our F150 could tow. Most salespersons told us it would be fine, no mater how large a RV we were shopping. All they care about is sending you home with a new trailer. So buyers be forwarned to carfully research the tow limits of the vehicle you intend to use. Two long trips over the continetal divide have taught us MORE POWER is better than JUST ENOUGH. Fuel economy and saftey are both improved. By purchasing a small trailer, the ol R151, we can tow it safely with the F150, but I wouldn't want to tow any of the heavier RPODs with it. No sir.
RP-151
Kamaka ukelele
97 Chev Silverado Shortbox
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic