r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod wish list, what we love, what we would love to see
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R-Pod Toy support?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThorsMitersaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Pod Toy support?
    Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 10:14am
Hi,

New here. Considering what trailer to buy as a base for starting a particular conversion. What I want to do is build a toy support trailer. This idea is similar to a toy hauler, only I will not need the trailer to haul the toys. Those will go in the bed of my truck (two dirt bikes). What I want is something to sleep in and act as a good base of operations for a dirt bike pair. Hence, support, not hauler. This will be technical for the bikes, housing for two adults (myself and my s/o), and our wonderful dog: Cosmos. I thought the relatively light weight of the pod would be great so that the total weight after the modifications would still be much lower than a straight toy hauler

I want to include some features like a fuel station (doesn't have to be 50 gallons or some such, more like 20. maybe), hose for spraying off the bikes, possibly a small air compressor, lots of water capacity if there is not enough already, generator, lots of battery power, converting the rear garage area away from a kitchen oriented/tailgating area into an actually more literal 'garage' with tool drawers, pegboard, good outdoor flood and spot lighting, etc. I was even thinking I could ditch the black water tank for a composting toilet to save weight and possibly replace that space with the fuel cell (assuming the black water tank was in a good location to begin with) Ideally I would like to strip out the wood looking interior and replace it with something more billet looking like on the old Fleetwood evolution series (another trailer I am considering for this project).

Do you think an R-pod would make a good base for this? Are they relatively easy to access? Is there enough room in storage space in the exterior, or behind the walls, to add these sort of things? Any help and input is appreciated
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 12:18pm
No! I understand what your intent is, but if you have a truck and are willing to spend all this time and money then just get a toy hauler (TH). There are plenty of THs out there that are light. Travel trailers (TT) and THs are built for entirely different purposes. THs are designed to carry more water and provide the amenities you described while TTs are more of a destination unit. You could skimp out on your TT, but if you're going to use the capabilities of a TH, then get one.

I'm telling you all this from a TH owner. Get what you need and enjoy it!

I'm partial to FR, so check out these small ones:

Stealth SS1812
XLR 19HFS
Wolf Pack 19WP

These will get you started. If you need a bigger TH, then go bigger. If you're really set to build and customize, then get a cargo trailer and go to town on it.

Good luck!

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
Seanl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seanl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 12:58pm
I think the Rpod is to small for what you want to do with it. You could look at the pod toy hauler

Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic