r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Running off battery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDHfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running off battery
    Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 8:49am
Hello guys! Getting ready to camp at Beaver Stadium to watch Penn State take on Navy this weekend. I was just wondering about the battery that came with my 182G. I will be going light on the power... i was hoping someone could tell me if the battery would be able to handle a weekend using the Refrigerator on LP and an occasional water pump? I looked up some of the amp per hour charts but they're wrong. Says the LP/CO2 detectors use 1 A/H each... but my battery runs about a month before it's discharged (now i have a kill switch).
Portable generators are not allowed... but... i might have access to one... about how long does it take to recharge if i just plug the power cord into generator?
Mark, Beth, Nolan & Madeline
(former owner) 2012 182G "NoMad"
2014 Rockwood Mini 2306
2012 Nissan Armada
Equal-i-zer/Prodigy P2
podsible dream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote podsible dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 9:06am
Kdhfan, check my post and thread on "Electrical Current Draw" last week. I put together some numbers based on real time use.  The largest draw is your lights, LEDs make a huge difference! 
You should not have any problem with staying lit over one weekend.

P.S. Have fun! Go Rutgers! 
Chris and Walt
'10 RP 171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Durango Crew 5.7l Hemi
PaddyMorris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyMorris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 3:43pm
if it gets low, plugg the Pod into the tug and run the tug for a while.
Old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill.
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 10:27am
Originally posted by PaddyMorris PaddyMorris wrote:

if it gets low, plugg the Pod into the tug and run the tug for a while.

That would make the pod the tow. Merchant marine?
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
Heidi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 10:09pm
We just got back from dry camping for a week. We ran the fridge on propane and the water pump, didn't heat water, and the furnace a couple of nights and had no issues with our 175. We are conservative with our light use. Didn't have an issue with the battery. We do have solar for backup in case we need it but we didn't. You should be fine for a weekend.
we R-pod people
175 ,2 peeps and one small horse
KDHfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDHfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 8:52am
Our weekend was a success! We used the battery throughout the day pretty much the same as we would have had we been plugged in, with a few exceptions. We ended up with a Honda 2000 generator from my wifes work, so we just cranked that on at dark, ran the lights, tv, and everything else (except A/C). Before turning on the Genny, our battery was at 3/4 full. When we went to bed (10:00), we turned the generator off. We had the heater on and used the water pump occasionally throughout the night and a light here and there. In the morning, the battery was still completely full. We didn't run the Fridge... too many trips inside for a beer... lol.
AND... we gave at least 20 tours (not an exaggeration)! I can almost guarantee i sold at least 2 Rpods over the weekend.
Mark, Beth, Nolan & Madeline
(former owner) 2012 182G "NoMad"
2014 Rockwood Mini 2306
2012 Nissan Armada
Equal-i-zer/Prodigy P2
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic