r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

furnace /fan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: furnace /fan
    Posted: 21 Sep 2012 at 11:08pm
HI all, just got back from Algonquin park with wolves howling about 400yds away and one running through camp ground on the road behind us. I forgot to take our camera... duhhhhh.. Sorry no pics. but the leaves were just starting to turn, very pretty. I have a couple of questions. We started our furnace for the first time and the fan starts every time we started the furnace.. Why? We will never run the furnace because that fan is noiser than a 18wheeler idling out side your door... Also we have a 177 and have a vent cover under our bathroom door.. I thought it might throw heat out with the furnace running but it doesn't. The bathroom/shower is a sealed unit. What is the purpose of that vent cover? One more.. As this is our first winter, what do you folks leave in the trailer ( we know all food stuffs come out) but what about paper plates, paper towels etc.. Or do you empty everything out of the trailer? I downloaded the winterization for the waterlines etc and will follow that.   
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
2012 177.. "EHHH" R Pod" its a canadian thing..
Seanl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seanl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 8:59am
I miss Algonquin park. I was born in southern ON but now live in NB. I assume when you say fan you mean furnace fan. There is no way to run the furnace without that comming on but in ours the furnace is a lot quieter than the AC fan. If you have shore power you can use a small electric heater to heat the Pod.

The vent under the door is just that a passive vent to ventilate the space under the bathroom. Keeps it dry from condensation.

We take everything out that will go bad or freeze but everthing else stays in. Last winter I put a couple of damp traps in. This spring I just aired everything out and I was good to go. One issue I did have was the fridge clossed tight durring the winter so I had to clean out the mildew in there.

Hope that helps.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition

ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 9:06pm
Sorry all I should have clarified the fan issue. The AC fan starts every time we start our furnace. So not only do you have the furnace fan running (which makes sense) you also have the AC fan running at the top of the ceiling, drawing in a LOT of fresh air even on low...Now that to me doesn't make sense... Any info would sure be appreciated..
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
Seanl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seanl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by ron_whitt ron_whitt wrote:

Sorry all I should have clarified the fan issue. The AC fan starts every time we start our furnace. So not only do you have the furnace fan running (which makes sense) you also have the AC fan running at the top of the ceiling, drawing in a LOT of fresh air even on low...Now that to me doesn't make sense... Any info would sure be appreciated..

No mine does not do that. Do you have rhe digital thermostat? Maybe there is a switch. To turn off the ac fan.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition

ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 10:17pm
Yes Sean we have the digital thermostat, not sure if its the rhe, I'll look tomorrow. But we tried everything ( I think ) and if someone tells me of a way to shut off the AC fan... then I guess we didn't try all the ways... We went down to the furnace part of the thermostat and when the furnace started so did the AC fan???
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
EastCoastMaritimer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EastCoastMaritimer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 6:16pm
Hi Ron_whitt! Fellow Rpod 177 owner here from Toronto. Thinking about Algonquin this upcoming weekend! Which campground did you stay at? Any recommendations on a particular site #?
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 6:25pm
With the manual thermostat, the "fan" selector needs to be on AUTO, or the A/C fan will blow when you put it in "Heat". Is there such a setting on the digital thermostat? 
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 9:26pm
Hmm not sure furpod. Even though I'm retired.. I had to work today and likely the next 2 or 3 days .. I'll check to see if there is a setting on the digital one. But we tried all ways like I said. Am taking in the EHH R Pod to get the door fixed (see warranty section) and I'm going to inquiry about this, if I don't get any info from members. But I'd like to thank all members who have replied so far.
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 2:40pm
When we dropped of the pod to fix "minor issues and the door (not a minor issue) The person told us about the fan being on auto (we were not told this during our walk through) So they will explain the auto part of the fan/heating sequence when we pick up the EHH R pod when all work is done.
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
KDHfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDHfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 3:55pm
Ron... Furpod is correct. The fan must be in the "auto" position for it not to start up when you turn on the heat. I had this happen to me over the weekend. Thankfully, I figured it out before the frustration started to creep in.
We are not big fans of the RPod furnace, however. It is loud when it kicks on, heats up the RPod to an uncomfortable level and then lets it cool off a little too much before recycling back on. We purchased a small heater at WalMart for about $30... it has a thermostat and is safe to use in small spaces. Works very well inside the pod and doesn't use our propane.
Mark, Beth, Nolan & Madeline
(former owner) 2012 182G "NoMad"
2014 Rockwood Mini 2306
2012 Nissan Armada
Equal-i-zer/Prodigy P2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic