r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First camping trip in Disney

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First camping trip in Disney
    Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 7:18am
Our first camping trip...5 days at Disney's Fort Wilderness, and it wasn't nearly long enough!  What amazing fun.  We went to a park twice, but didn't stay long because we wanted to get back to the campsite (thank goodness for annual passes so we didn't feel a lot of pressure to do the parks).  We had so much fun at the campsite that aside from frequent bike rides, we didn't care to leave the site.  I didn't even look for the geocache I planned on; there just wasn't enough time!  We had to take the new Ford Escape to the dealer the day after we got there because the check engine light came on (see Misc/Off Topic thread), but aside from that, it was awesome!  I thought I had the storage all figured out with bins under the bed, but Jillie-dog got scared during fireworks, so I had to move the bins out and put her little bed under our bed.  Then one bin went to the bathroom shower floor and the rest to the back of the SUV!

"Ken, Vicki, and Jillie-dog"
2012 RPod 177
2011 Chevy Silverado
KDHfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDHfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 6:12pm
Hey Vics... i was wondering if you could give us some more information on Fort Wilderness (other than what i can get online)... your likes/dislikes, did you have a premium site? Do you need a cart if you don't have a premium site? Kids activities, etc... Anything you can give us would be appreciated. We are also annual pass holders (and DVC members) and I'm thinking of making the trip to Fort Wilderness next year when school lets out... i'm an at-home dad (DS9, DD6), so we would leave mom behind and could basically stay as long as we wanted. Making our 16th Disney trip in January but we've never been to Fort Wilderness.
Mark, Beth, Nolan & Madeline
(former owner) 2012 182G "NoMad"
2014 Rockwood Mini 2306
2012 Nissan Armada
Equal-i-zer/Prodigy P2
vics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 9:38pm
I'll be happy to tell you everything I know!  We stayed in the 800 pet loop near the Meadow Trading Post, which is a shop with a pool behind it.  The pool had games and activities for the kids that looked fun.  There was the spot they had the "hoop de do review", with singing and banjo music, food and s'more making.  There was a small pond there with a creek that went somewhere...and they had canoe and fishing rental.  It seemed like there were golf carts everywhere, and they looked fun, but we just brought our bikes and rode them everywhere.  There were places to lock the bikes up everywhere we went, but noticed several people didn't bother locking theirs.  The "comfort stations" had very nice bathrooms and showers, and spotless laundry facilities.  There was a beach with a boat dock from where you can take a boat to the Magic Kingdom (MK).  At that area there's a bar, restaurant, arcade, and another shop.  There's also another place with food and entertainment.  Near there are the stables where they keep the draft horses for the MK and you can walk through them, and they have pony rides.  That area is where the premium sites are, I think, and you can see the fireworks from the MK from there (I think)...our dog transformed into a chicken every night at that time, so we hung out with her.  I think you can also see the water parade in the 7 seas lagoon...we didn't go to that either because we've seen it from the ferry.  Honestly we didn't do a whole lot; the R Pod is new to us and we had so much fun with the whole camping experience that we didn't do a lot of MK stuff!  Let me know if you need any more info!
2012 RPod 177
2011 Chevy Silverado
vics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 9:44pm
Oh! 3 more things: Besides the boats, there are bus stops everywhere with buses running frequently to all the parks.  The closest park is the MK, and you can also get there by boat.  I think you can also get to Epcot by boat.  Also at that boat dock, you can rent watercraft and also go on fishing excursions.  Also, one morning they had horse-drawn carts going through the camping loops which was really neat.  Lastly (I think!), there's some brush between the camping sites, but in the back of most of the sites there seems to be a pretty decent view.  I would ask to not butt up against the road or a comfort station, though, as a few of the camp sites do.
2012 RPod 177
2011 Chevy Silverado
KDHfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDHfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 3:40pm
One of the biggest questions i have is... are all the sites near the hospitality house considered premium? I'd rather not be shelling out $100/night for a site. How far (roughly) is it from the furthest site to the hospitality house? And just as important... did you sneak away to catch a peak at the abandoned River Country?
2014 Rockwood Mini 2306
2012 Nissan Armada
Equal-i-zer/Prodigy P2
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 4:01pm
We just booked 3 nights for a premium site on the pet loop. Total cost including tax was $266.13 including tax plus $15 for our dog. We have a FL resident annual pass but I don't know how much that reduced the price.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
vics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 9:36pm
Sorry, I don't know what you mean by hospitality house.  Please let me know what you're looking for there.  I'm pretty sure the premium sites are near the beach.  I understand about not wanting to spend a bunch of money!  When we're going to the parks, we won't be spending much time at the campsite anyway, so if we can stay at a nice less expensive campground close to Disney, I'm happy.  We're going to check out other campgrounds near Disney for future visits.  Don't get me wrong, I love it there and will stay there again, but when we do it'll be to hang out there most of the time.
And no, I've never seen River Country. 
 vics
2012 RPod 177
2011 Chevy Silverado
KDHfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDHfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 7:43am
Hospitality House is typically where the store, check-in, main pool and restaurant is. Sometimes you'll see Disney buses that have "HH" as their destination... those are internal resort shuttles that stop at the hospitality house. In DVC, it's a "booking category" when reserving at some resorts. I think your post above answers that the premium sites are near the beach (and hospitality house). Thanks!

Thanks Ratdog... FL residents and DVC usually get about the same discounts, so I'll definitely look into that.
2014 Rockwood Mini 2306
2012 Nissan Armada
Equal-i-zer/Prodigy P2
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 8:09am
Originally posted by KDHfan KDHfan wrote:

Hospitality House is typically where the store, check-in, main pool and restaurant is. Sometimes you'll see Disney buses that have "HH" as their destination... those are internal resort shuttles that stop at the hospitality house. In DVC, it's a "booking category" when reserving at some resorts. I think your post above answers that the premium sites are near the beach (and hospitality house). Thanks!

Thanks Ratdog... FL residents and DVC usually get about the same discounts, so I'll definitely look into that.

I think you can also get a 20% discount with AAA but you can't combine it with other discounts, of course.

Here's some discussion on the premium sites. It's about a year old:

-- Steve

Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 8:26am
Originally posted by vics vics wrote:

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by hospitality house.  Please let me know what you're looking for there.  I'm pretty sure the premium sites are near the beach.  I understand about not wanting to spend a bunch of money!  When we're going to the parks, we won't be spending much time at the campsite anyway, so if we can stay at a nice less expensive campground close to Disney, I'm happy.  We're going to check out other campgrounds near Disney for future visits.  Don't get me wrong, I love it there and will stay there again, but when we do it'll be to hang out there most of the time.
And no, I've never seen River Country. 
 vics

Don't forget to factor in the cost to park your car at Disney when looking at facilities outside of Disney property. That will cost you $14/day. Some off-property resorts have shuttle busses so be sure to ask.

You can save a ton of money by staying at Fort Wilderness and being able to easily return to your camper to make lunch and dinner. As I'm sure you saw, eating at Disney (even just a hot dog) is extremely expensive. It would be a big hassle (and take a lot of time) to return to your car at the parking lot, drive to your off-property campground, fix and eat your meals, and then go back to the parking lot at the park.

With all of the above, I think staying at Fort Wilderness can be less expensive than staying elswhere.

We've been to Disney World over 150 times since the first year they opened and there's always something new to see and do. We're headed back next month for more. We're now getting into some of the special tour things they offer. We did the Segway tour at EPCOT and it was a lot of fun. Next on the agenda is the 6-hour underground Disney tour where they take you down to the 1.5 miles of underground tunnels underneath Disney where all the support activities of the park take place.

For anyone who's never been to Disney or wants great information on where to go, what to see, get a copy of http://www.amazon.com/Birnbaums-Walt-Disney-World-2013/dp/1423152271. It's full of tips and tricks to make your visit better. My wife used it for years to help us navigate around the parks.

Disney World really is "The Happiest Place on Earth".

-- Steve

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic