r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BATTERY BOX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anchor out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BATTERY BOX
    Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 8:48pm
Just got home with our new Pod. Couldn't help but notice the battery was held on the front frame member by a strap and a prayer. The only thing missing was a sign, "$100.00 battery, free for the taking".

I needed a secure place to keep two batteries, a selector switch, and maybe room for wheel chocks, hitch locks, etc. I bolted a metal tool box to a new angle iron cross member. I insulated the battery compartment with rubber garage floor tiles (Lowes). I added a divider to secure the batteries and make a second compartment.

I hope the pictures come through.
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 8:55am
That is an interesting battery switch. It allows you to use/charge the batteries independently? or together? Not sure I see a reason for that.. But it does look robust, and has an "off" position, which is very good to have.

Also, you should add some bolt downs to those batteries to keep them from going anywhere while bouncing down the road.. besides damaging the batteries, they could short to the metal box. Either would be frustrating..
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Joe & Vickie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe & Vickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 11:49am
You should have a vent so any gases from the batteries can get out of that metal box.
r-pod 177-GITTY UP GO
ford F-250 pickup
anchor out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anchor out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 9:33pm
There are many books written on the management of battery banks, They explain the reason for isolating batteries. The lid in this box, though keeping out water, is not air tight. The hole in the bottom, through which the 12volt wires pass, allows air to flow up and through the box. " The box is insulated with rubber garage tiles (Lowes). Thanks for the input.
headcold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote headcold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 7:53pm
What are the dimensions on the metal box.  I assume that it's an off-the-shelf model.  If so, where did you purchase it?  Model number? etc.

Thanks much. I just saw this post.  I was away when it was posted.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic