r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hot water heater question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1shadowsabre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot water heater question
    Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 8:26pm
Been out in the rpod three times since we got it in Sept. Really enjoy it. I have a question regarding the hot water tank, is it electric and propane? I am not getting any hot water without using the gas. Have been hooked up to land power every time we've camped so far. 
Bill Ky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Ky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 9:16pm
My first question would be is the exterior switch in the on position? If yes then is the circuit breaker tripped? 
Bill & Marilyn, Tinker Belle (Yorkie), Sparkle (Mini Dachshund) & Tootsie (the turtle) '12 RP175 '07 Dodge Ram 1500
Marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 9:22pm
The switch inside the pod is for LP, if you want to use 110 power you have to use the switch on the outside in the HWT compartment.
If you want something done right, do it yourself!

2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra Limited 5.7 Litre
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 7:27am
Be very careful when using it in electric mode.  It's very easy to burn-up the heating element if you forget to have water in the HWH.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 4:34pm
I took an indelible marking pen and wrote a warning to myself next to the AC switch on the heater.
One quick flick and if the heater is empty...the electric element will burn out in just a couple of seconds!
tsunami
catken View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 4:17pm
Since were on this subject, I have a question. When we use the electric mode, the water comes out warm for a few seconds followed by cool water and then back to warm.  Also in the propane mode, how long should  it take to get the water hot.
Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by catken catken wrote:

Since were on this subject, I have a question. When we use the electric mode, the water comes out warm for a few seconds followed by cool water and then back to warm. 

We had the same problem on our first trip out. It turned out that our valves were in the wrong positions.
Scroll down till you see a picture of the correct positions.
Traveling with Herb and the Boon-doggie

2010 r-pod 171 pulled by '11 Silverado
1shadowsabre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1shadowsabre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 7:44pm
Thank you Marwayne, That picture tells me what I need to know! For some reason my switch is taped in the off position! Now I see how it works.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic