r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Owners Registry
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help for Towing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2PSNPOD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help for Towing
    Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 10:55pm
New R-pod owners looking to purchase a Toyota Tacoma 2011 2wd v6 4.0L.
Would love advice about towing with this vehicle and what to expect when towing into the mountains. We love our pod and are ready to hit the higher grounds with it, just want something reliable for the mountain climbs.
Pulling now with a Kia Sorento and does pretty good but can REALLY feel the hills.
JUJUNAPRIL
Whiskeyjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whiskeyjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 11:11pm
We towed our RPod 175 all over the foothills and mountain passes of Washington State with an '06 4.0 two wheel drive Tacoma Prerunner--They haven't changed much since then. The Prerunner did a fine job in all areas. It pulled all hills and passes well. I used tow/haul mode which locks out 5th. Most towing was handled by 4th, but it would shift down to 3rd on some tough pulls. Mileage was 10-12.5 for me when towing-about half of non towing MPG. The Taco and Pod are a great match, and I would have bought another Tacoma, but got a great deal on a Tundra which obviously tows the Pod even better and gets better mileage both towing and in daily use (4.6-v/8).
33 years in the classroom was enough. I miss kids, coaching, and some of the adults. Grading papers? Forget it!
wallawallaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 9:17am
+ 1 RE: Whiskeyjack.  If  you plan on upgrading your RV in the future and in your price range buy a larger truck.

WWR
P.S. Welcome to the farmHandshake 
WWRon,2012 RP177 HRE "Eye Pod",2010 Ford F-150 4x4
9/11 Never Forget.
NRA Life Member, Amsoil dealer www.lubedealer.com/wallawallaron
2PSNPOD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2PSNPOD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 12:04pm
Thanks for the information. One more question for ya....Did you have the electric braking system installed as well for the crawl down the mountain side??
JUJUNAPRIL
Whiskeyjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whiskeyjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 12:58pm
Yes! Pods are heavy enough to really need a brake control. Tekonsha brand makes several good models, and some are reasonably priced. One other thing--the Tacoma is a little lightly sprung in the rear. I got around this by using a WDH, but there are other ways to make up for this--extra leaf, overload helper spring, air bags. If you have a new Tacoma there is a factory TSB to have an extra leaf installed for those that need it.
33 years in the classroom was enough. I miss kids, coaching, and some of the adults. Grading papers? Forget it!
2PSNPOD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2PSNPOD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 6:39pm
Thanks so much for all the useful info. We pulled off the lot with our 2011 Tacoma today....will get tow package and other stuff put on soon..for now I guess the Kia will continue to pull for our short trips.
JUJUNAPRIL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic