r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Reviews and Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New 2012 r-Pod 173

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammycamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 2012 r-Pod 173
    Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 1:01am

We just took delivery of a new 2012 r-Pod 173 last Thursday and took it for a late season outing at a local State Park this weekend. Apparently Forest River is not making the 173 model for 2013; but I thought it offered a fair amount of versatility for a non-slider model. Since my wife and I are not particularly large people, my intention is to use the sofa for a more-or-less full-time bed, and leave the dinette setup. I sawed off a 1x10" board to fit below the back of the sofa, where I stuffed a couple body pillows to fill the gap between the top of the sofa and the wall when it is pulled out to a bed position. That arrangement makes a sleep area just slightly smaller than a full size bed. It worked OK, but a foam cushion custom cut and upholstered would do a better job than the body pillows.

Our tow vehicle is a 2008 Trailblazer, and it towed the r-Pod almost effortlessly. I just sold a 21-foot KZ Sportsmen Frontier travel trailer that we had for 6 years. The Trailblazer was able to pull it; but it felt pretty well max'd out. I particularly like the fact that I don't need any mirror extenders to see to the rear while pulling the r-Pod. For this trip, the Trailblazer got about 14% better fuel economy that when it pulled the Frontier.

I drove to the campsite and setup alone before my wife joined me after work. Our r-Pod came with the r-Dome; so I set that up in spite of the generic and somewhat misleading instructions. It really wasn't bad to setup, and should be relatively easy from now on, unless the wind kicks up. With a wind, I probably would need some help. Also, the r-Dome requires a fairly sizable campsite. As long as there's room, I definitely like the size and versatility of the r-Dome. It's a great space for our two dogs in their crates, and makes a pleasant transition area from the pod to the ourdoors.

The appliances all worked as designed, and I think the r-Pod/r-Dome combo has an appealing look.

Overall, though, my wife and I were disappointed in the r-Pod. It has a profound lack of storage space; the toilet/shower stall is uncomfortably tight; and, for such a tiny pod, it was frustratingly hard to heat. It did a lousy job of retaining warm air, so the furnace had to kick on so often that our battery did not last for two nights. We have had 5 other campers. The 21-foot Frontier that I just sold had gobs of space, and it warmed up easily and stayed comfortable. The r-Pod was not noticeably warmer than the fold-down campers we've had. It seems to be very drafty, though I can't specifically determine where the cold air is coming from. The floor is particularly cold.

I plan to do some surgery that could help the storage issue some. There is a large empty area under the sofa; but the only access is to lift the sofa into the mid-transition position. I think I will cut out a section in the middle of the base under the front of the sofa, and make sort of a drawer that can be slid out onto the linoleum floor. It looks like the drawer can be about 20"Wx40"Dx10"H, which could serve as a readily accessible lay-down closet, plus hold towels and such. Extra blankets and things we don't need so frequently could still be stored in the two remaining areas under the sofa on either side of the new drawer. Wish me luck with this idea. If we're ever going to enjoy this camper, we really need a solution for the lack of storage.

Hopefully our r-Pod (is that redundant?) will grow on us.  I already asked the dealer we bought it from about trading it back for a Gulfstream Visa 17 that I had overlooked on the lot; but I would take a $2500 hit in addition to the $3000 difference in the cost of the two campers. He explained that a used camper is a used camper. If so, we may as well wait at least until Spring and maybe get some real use out of it before we try a swap. I wish I hadn't seen the Visa, because it seems to be everything I really wanted; but it does have that wider profile that creates rearview challenges, it weighs about 500-600 pounds more, and it has a $3k higher price tag.

For now, I'm going to try to remember all the charming characteristics of the r-Pod that attracted me to it in the first place, and find ways to enjoy it.

this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 7:31am
Hmmm.  I've never heard of an issue of heating/retaining heat in the Pod.  I've always been able to heat it very quickly and have it retain that heat.  It's never been suggested to run the heater with battery power only.  The fan will simply suck that battery down real quick, as you've learned.  As far as storage space, with all due respect, you should have noticed that before even making the purchase.  It's not like you had all this storage space, signed on the dotted-line, then all that space was magically taken away.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decided to do, but let me say one more thing.  Every day you hold on to that Pod, it's going to lose value.  If you're that unhappy with it, take the $2500 hit now, while your dealer is willing to work with you.  Take it as a lesson learned.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 8:00am
Sammycamper - You may get used to the lack of space in your rpod as time goes by. We went from a 32' travel trailer with bunk beds at one end, full bedroom at the other end, bathroom with tub, and lots of storage space down to an rpod and it's worked out for us. There will always be tradeoffs. I'm happy to give up the space in the big trailer for the ease of towing and parking the little trailer.
We also found "workarounds" for some of the problems you're experiencing. For example, we have never and will never camp where we don't have an electrical hookup. With an electrical hookup, if it's cold, we use one of those a small ceramic heaters. It does a much better job than the rpod furnace. As far as a bathroom, we only use the rpod bathroom at night. We always ask for a space near the bath house and use that during the day for restroom facilities as well as showers.

Of course, if you're going to use the campground's facilities, you need to be a little picky about where you stay so you stay at one where the facilities are clean and serviceable. We almost always stay at KOA's and have stayed at a lot of them. We've never been disappointed except for the Jackson Hole / Snake River KOA.

If you decide to sell, you might try posting it here on this forum. Lots of folks do that and have been successful at finding buyers. Depending on the deal you were able to strike with your dealer, you may not lose as much as trading it in. But as NASCAR says, the longer you own it, the more it's value will drop.

Good luck,

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
sammycamper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammycamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 9:17am
Hmmm, this_is_nascar, if your r-pod keeps you so snuggly, you sure have a funny way of spreading the warmth. I found nothing you said to be the least bit informative, helpful, or enlightening.
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camper Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 10:35am
Keeping warm.  We only keep two down sleeping bags unzipped and use them as blankets.  Never been cold nor needed any additional blankets.  We leave the heat off at night.  Camped recently at 8,500' and nighttime temps hit 28.  Toasty until I got up.  Since I sleep on the outside, just rolled over and hit the thermostat for a little help.  Might consider a down comforter instead of sleeping bags.  We have the 171 and have not had any real space/storage problems.  You just have to think about what you REALLY need to camp with.  We ordered our 171 without the entertainment center but with the microwave.  Their is a space above the microwave that we use for all clothing storage.  We purchased two flat fabric bags, one for each of us, to store all our folded shirts, socks, etc.  Works great with lots of room to spare.  We recently returned from a two week trip.  We take 5 days worth of clothing and only had to hit the laundromat once.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 lb.) Mini Dachshund
2013 Rpod 171HRE (Pods-of-Luck)
2005 Chev. Tahoe
MTB Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTB Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 11:02am
I noticed on our 177 that a tremendous amount of cold air was coming in through the vent space under the bath. I removed the vent cover, intending to spray foam in the offending area, but couldn't detect the exact spot that air was coming in from. So I got some fiberglass insulation and crammed it in there, and that seems to have helped a bunch. I also bought one of these:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mr.-Heater-Portable-Buddy-Heater/14710768
We went camping a couple of weeks ago in the mountains where the temp dropped down into the 20's at night and we'd run this for about half an hour before bed and then again when we got up and it definitely took the chill off. 

As for storage, there's actually a lot more storage options if you get creative. Our converter is under one side of the dinette, and the wiring was run all over the place so that side of the dinette was unusable for storage the way it was delivered. By simply moving all the wiring to one side, it allowed my husband to put a dividing wall in the middle, and gave us about a 2 ft x 2 ft space under there. Another spot of wasted space was under the sink. Forest River had the sink area closed off so there was only about about 6" x 12" of useable space under there. I removed the wood trim that hid the sink pipes, propane tubing and electrical wiring, and again tidied it up by moving wires and tubing as far to the right as I could. That opened up the space under the sink all the way to the back wall. I can now fit my frying pan, cooking pans, coffee pot, cooking oil, and a couple of cutting boards under there, and I still have a space on the left side where my husband is going to build me a spice rack. Also, I "borrowed" an idea from another member of this forum and asked my husband to build two small shelves to go above the curtain valances over the front windows. The shelves are about 3" wide and run the length of the window with the same spindle style railing that we have above the microwave. It looks like the trailer came with it. I can fit tons of stuff up there (Tylenol, Advil, sunscreen, cards, flashlight, etc). Instead of shelves over the back window, I found some 6" tall baskets at ikea that I used the small adhesive hooks to secure to the wall, with the bottom resting on the valance, so they can actually hold a fair amount of weight. We keep all of our toiletries there, and nothing falls out during travel. Ikea is an excellent place for finding space-saving organizational tools. 

The RPod is definitely "cozy", and I can't say that I haven't fantasized about getting a slightly larger trailer at some point, but every time we go out in the pod, I fall in love with it again, and you can't beat the ease of towing and setting up. 

Hope this helps give you some ideas if you decide to hang onto your pod. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Marila
Pete & Marila
Sacramento, CA
2012 R Pod 177
2001 Ford F150 Crew Cab
CC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 12:18pm
As for the small wet bath, just sit on the toilet lid while you shower and you should have plenty of room.

We typically use ours only during the night and/or if the bathroom/showers where we are camping are too far to walk or unclean.

One other thing I've learned...with a 10-yr old boy who doesn't yet have the 'truest aim' shall we say, a wet bath area means that when everything gets clean at once. Confused

It's great to have a bathroom on board if you need it. I think it is always better to have options, yes?
Lighting a candle, not cursing the darkness
"The Pod Couple"
2011 RP-177
TV: 2010 F150
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 8:58pm
@Sammycamper. First off, welcome to the nation. We are actually a very nice group here. If you read some of the older posts, you will find many mods that have been made by the members concerning storage. We have a 172 and put in the hydraulic lifts on the bottom bunk. This mod was posted by a fellow podder. We store most of our things there. It takes awhile to get used to the "cozy" interior, but you will soon feel at home in your Pod. My husband and I spent 2 months in Florida during the 2012 winter season. I would be lying if I told you that things did not get close sometimes.

We heat our Pod with a Sunbeam electrical heater. It has a thermostat which can be set as low as 60 or as high as 80. At 70 degrees,during the night, the Pod gets way too hot for us.
Stay with us. We have some GREAT rallies during the summer.
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
sammycamper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammycamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 10:39pm
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and the encouragement. I'm starting to enjoy r-pod ownership better already.

I remind myself of the first few hundred miles I drove in a Smartcar I bought last Winter. Actually, I traded a motorcycle for it; so, I was surprised that I was rather spooked by the handling of the tiny car on road surfaces with occasional ice patches. I thought I'd made a serious mistake. By the time I'd put 500 miles on the little rascal, I was hooked. I couldn't get enough of the thing.

I do find the r-pod charming, but I'll take some of your suggestions to track down the source of cold air drafts and find hidden storage options.

Thanks again.

Sam

Tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 9:19am
You do need to be creative when it comes to storage. After 4 years with the tink'rpod, I have found myself taking stuff OUT!! Why did I need 4 glasses, 4 wine glasses and 4 plates? After all, it's usually only me. Command strips have also been my friend. You'll figure it out and won't even think about it anymore.

Tink'rPod 174 Knoxville,TN,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic