r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Camping at least once a month in the Northwest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhamster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 9:21am
Originally posted by serenityPod serenityPod wrote:

Our last trip had us pulling into our camp spot near Bellingham

Short of posting my wife in the spot with a flashlight and a radio, have you discovered any good way to handle this scenario?

Where in Bellingham? Larrabee?

I send my wife out every time regardless of the lighting situation... should I feel bad? We don't even use a radio, just a loud voice and an open window Smile I don't think I'd feel comfortable backing up without having someone there unless I did it in 1 foot increments and got out myself to check... too many variables.
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by furpod furpod wrote:

You may try some National or state parks.. they are often without any hookups, but also open all year... But lots of people won't camp in the winter. We are doing a driveway campout next weekend, a "distributed" group campout.. and I have been surprised by the number of people that won't winter camp in their own driveway..

Every single state and national park in NY is closed already. We can't do driveway camping because of the HOA rules. However, we have winter camped in my parents driveway in NJ as well as MIL's driveway in FL (which is not really winter camping).

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
rollinstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rollinstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 10:48pm
This summer is the first time with the R-Pod...love it! Now, my son and I and the two granddaughters are skiers. Anyone have any suggestions or warnings taking the Pod up to the mountains in the winter? I watch the weather closely so I'm not going to go up during a hard freeze...and here in the Northwest our base lodge is at about 5,400 feet. It can get down to below freezing at night.

Dealer told me that as long as we keep the heater going there should be enough radiant heat to keep the pipes from freezing...true?
Rollinstone

2014 Draggin'Pod 178

'97 Explorer 5.0L AWD

furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 8:44am
When camping, and it's going to be below freezing for any kind of extended period, we dry camp. The only things you are giving up are the plumbing.. we use water from a carrier, kept inside.If you have the ability to dump at/near home, then using the facilities might not be a problem, as long as it's above freezing where you live near the coast..

My main worry would be the fresh water tank freezing, and then keeping things moving and freed up in the holding tanks.. some of that RV anti freeze would do it I bet.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Seanl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seanl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 9:49am
I don't know about the north west but here in the east it gets way to cold in the winter to use the plumbing. Once I have mine winterized I would not take the antifreeze out before spring. I use my trailer in the winter but not the plumbing.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic