r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Camping at least once a month in the Northwest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLteamErickson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camping at least once a month in the Northwest
    Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 9:56am
We bought our 2012 172 in January and my goal was to camp at least once a month.  We have camped in snow, rain, sun, lightening.  What a great place to be in all kinds of weather.  So far we only missed one month, September.  Veteran's Weekend we are going out again.  Any other hearty souls out there?
Karl and Laura
2012 R Pod 172 (Bullwinkle)
2012 Dodge Ram
Out moosing around!
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camper Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 2:48pm
Where are you located?  We are heading out this Thursday for 3 days at our coast here in Oregon.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 lb.) Mini Dachshund
2013 Rpod 171HRE (Pods-of-Luck)
2005 Chev. Tahoe
R&T's Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R&T's Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 4:17pm
So far this year we've camped in the months of March, April, May, June, July, September, October, have plans for this coming weekend (November), and going to the coast over Christmas Break (December).  January and February are just to iffy weather wise for camping for us, and August is back to school time.  Rob  

Edit:  Sorry just saw the complete title, the bit about the Northwest. LOL  Embarrassed
2010 R-Pod 175 2007 F-150 Super Cab R&T's Podding Blog

KLteamErickson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLteamErickson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 8:49pm
You either have kids or you're  a teacher like I am.  Good for you guys for going as often as you do.
Karl and Laura
2012 Dodge Ram
Out moosing around!
R&T's Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R&T's Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 8:50pm
No kids that live with us.  We BOTH send them home everyday to their mommies and daddies. LOLOL
Rob
2010 R-Pod 175 2007 F-150 Super Cab R&T's Podding Blog

KLteamErickson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLteamErickson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 8:52pm
We are going to be in Quilcene with another pod.  We would love for you to drive up 101 and meet us at Dosewallips State Park.  We are the ones that could not come to the roundup because we were moving my mom.  Can't wait to meet you at some point.

Karl and Laura
2012 Dodge Ram
Out moosing around!
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 11:48am
We camped all year long when we were in the Pacific Nowrthwest. We even went camping during the ice storm in January. Now that we're here in NY, we're still doing as much as we could. In a matter of fact, we're going this weekend.

We're a family of 5, with three small chidren and we just get up and go even in the winter.

Good Luck and have fun!

Update: The one park that we we're going to visit this weekend is now closed. All we want to do is spend the weekend in Syracuse visitng museums and the zoo. Does no one camp in the east coast during the winter? Why is it that there were more places to visit in the west even in the winter months? This blows!!!

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Kenn Kenn wrote:

Update: The one park that we we're going to visit this weekend is now closed. All we want to do is spend the weekend in Syracuse visitng museums and the zoo. Does no one camp in the east coast during the winter? Why is it that there were more places to visit in the west even in the winter months? This blows!!!

I tried to tell you things were different in the northeast. I'm guessing that the northwest doesn't get hard freezes that last all winter. (That's probably why you never hear about Oregon maple syrup.) Any campground that does stay open has to install heaters on their water lines to keep them from freezing. Most find that it's too big an expense to justify for the few campers they get.

We head south if there's not too much snow to get the pod out of the driveway, and I've identified a few campgrounds along our route that stay open year round. Even then we don't de-winterize until about the time we get to Virginia.

Your best bet is to find those campgrounds that do stay open and then plan your activities around them, rather than the other way around.
Traveling with Herb and the Boon-doggie

2010 r-pod 171 pulled by '11 Silverado
serenityPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serenityPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 10:30pm
Karl, Laura:

We too bought a 172 this year.  Our last trip had us pulling into our camp spot near Bellingham surrounded by tall evergreens, after dark, in the rain with no light on the pedestal.  Have you had this experience?  If so you know just how dark it can be.  Backing in the pod was a totally blind experience and a complete act of faith.

Short of posting my wife in the spot with a flashlight and a radio, have you discovered any good way to handle this scenario?  I would like to be able to go out by myself on occasion.  I've done some searching on backup lights but not found a lot. Before committing to figuring that out I thought I would ask. 

Cheers.

Matt
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Kenn Kenn wrote:

. Does no one camp in the east coast during the winter? Why is it that there were more places to visit in the west even in the winter months? This blows!!!

You may try some National or state parks.. they are often without any hookups, but also open all year...

But lots of people won't camp in the winter. We are doing a driveway campout next weekend, a "distributed" group campout.. and I have been surprised by the number of people that won't winter camp in their own driveway.. let alone go somewhere.. We would be going somewhere, probably Mammoth Cave this weekend, If I didn't feel the need to get another deer..
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic