r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

trailer harness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anchorout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trailer harness
    Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 10:25pm
Two problems with the FR trailer plug:

So you hookup plug in and off you go.  You turn on your lights and the truck dies.  You check the turn signals and they are opposite the truck signals.  What the ....  The plug used by FR will plug into a tow vehicle outlet up side down, in spite of the keyway, and it isn't that hard.  Be careful.

If you don't catch this problem outright, and crawl under the Pod, problem two is that the color codes from the plug are NOT STANDARD.  They will not match the TV.  Ex: The yellow wire (turn signal/brake lamp) is not used.  There is a red wire???  I found the correct color codes on one of the forums (Tsunami's post) but really. 

Just know this plug is unrealiable.
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 9:27am

As mentioned in the other forum, the problem is on your end.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 9:37am
If you insert the plug with the blue dot and tab on the plug pointing up, it will plug in correctly.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
laira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 1:20am
You'll have the following functions:
1 - ground
2.- tail lights & license plate light
3 - turn signal (left)
4 - turn signal (right)
5 - electric brakes. This wire runs from your brake light switch to a brake controller box. The box allows direct battery current to the trailer brakes (they need the power).
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 7:12pm
I have never had a tow vehicle that didn't have the correct wiring for its Bargmann connector. However, I did find that my R-Pod's Bargmann plug wires were not correct. Forest River had used non-standard wire color coding. My Pod's Bargmann plug and wiring fell apart within two months of use. I had to replace the plug...which is how I found out that FR did not follow recommended wiring coding.
I bought a Bargmann test plug at my local RV dealer...it showed correct wiring in my tow vehicle. But the Pod's wiring was all screwed up.
After wiring the new plug...I made a sketch of the cross wiring to keep in the Pod, in case, a repair shop ever had to look at the wiring.
tsunami
anchor out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anchor out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 11:18pm
I have owned many trailers over the last 50 years. So, knowing that it is IMPOSSIBLE to plug this type connector in upside down (I knew the notch went straight up or down, one way or the other,) I plugged it in. (Hertz connector on the TV.) As related above, it was upside down. So now I know to be more careful even when it IS IMPOSSIBLE to do it wrong. The "problem on your end" is no problem once the "why it happened" is determined.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic