r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My new R-Pod 174

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jherald02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My new R-Pod 174
    Posted: 16 Mar 2009 at 5:50am

I just purchased my new RP174 and will be picking it up on Wednesday.  This is my first travel trailer so I am extremely excited.

I'll be pulling it with a 2008 Highlander Hybrid which shouldn't be an issue.

For those who already have their Pods, I was wondering what the basic setup would look like.  How long it takes to get setup and what exactly needs to be done.  I'm totally new to RV'ing and don't know about anything involved yet. 

I'm going to give it a dry run in my driveway Wednesday night obviously.

Thanks,
James

Let's hit the road!
rmaco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmaco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2009 at 3:39pm

I am getting the RP174 as well, I was talking to Cody over at Forrest River and he said that it is thier most popular model. I still need to get an electric brake installed on my Subaru Tribeca, I hope they told you to get one installed on your Toyota too.

jherald02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jherald02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2009 at 4:46pm
Definitely.  I am getting mine on Thursday and cannot wait.  They are installing my brake controller while I am getting my demo done.

Good luck with yours.  Maybe I'll see ya on the road sometime.

James
Let's hit the road!
Jeff9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 4:50am
I am curious about the hook up electrically with the hybrid Toyota...I also have a Highlander Hybrid, a 2006 model with the towing package installed by dealer. I have only the 4 flat connector and I know these R-Pods require a 7 pin round connector. Is your vehicle equipped that way? I am getting conflicting info from the dealer and a local rv service about the ability to put the 7 round connector due to the hybrid system. This is an interesting camper, and I would like to up grade from a Little Guy Tear-drop we now have. Please let me know how you turn out. Thanks   Jeff9
jherald02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jherald02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 5:13am
Originally posted by Jeff9 Jeff9 wrote:

I am curious about the hook up electrically with the hybrid Toyota...I also have a Highlander Hybrid, a 2006 model with the towing package installed by dealer. I have only the 4 flat connector and I know these R-Pods require a 7 pin round connector. Is your vehicle equipped that way? I am getting conflicting info from the dealer and a local rv service about the ability to put the 7 round connector due to the hybrid system. This is an interesting camper, and I would like to up grade from a Little Guy Tear-drop we now have. Please let me know how you turn out. Thanks   Jeff9

Hi Jeff,

Are you talking about the braking system or the lights system?  My current setup is a 4 pin flat.  Everything is being installed/upgraded tomorrow while I'm at the dealer getting my demo done.  I'll let you know what I find out.

James
Let's hit the road!
Jeff9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 11:35am
the 4 pin set up only allows for turn signals, running lights and brake lights, as what we have. The upgrade SHOULD cover the additional needs of a charge line that supplies 12v to recharge the campers battery, allows 12v to run the 3-way refrig while underway, and also power the electric brakes. I just want to make sure that requirment is compatable with the Hybrid system. We really love the vehicle, and don't want to do anything that causes a problem with the vehicle. Please let me know how it works out, and who actually did the upgrade. I may need a phone number of the dealer. We are in Florida...thanks, Jeff
jherald02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jherald02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 11:50am

Hi again Jeff.

Got my 7 pin installed today with no problems.  It took a little bit longer than expected because they have to run a wire all the way from the front to the back but it is possible with the Hybrid system.  It was installed by Couch's RV Nation by a really great guy named Don.  Their number is (513) 863-7000.  I hope this helps you.

James
Let's hit the road!
Jeff9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 2:57am
sounds great...let me know if there are any problems towing and electrically. I am on the way to look at an R-Pod this am. thanks , Jeff
jherald02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jherald02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2009 at 4:52am

Well I took her out yesterday and we stayed at Heuston Woods in Ohio.  I got a flavor for all different roads as well; city, highway, country backroads etc. 

She handled great as far as towing goes.  There was some slight bouncing when going over hills at high speeds of 55 or better but I think that's because I need to load a little more weight in the front of the trailer to increase tongue weight.   No sway No Problems.

Setup was a breeze.  Less than 10 minutes but I didn't hook up the awning.

Comfort level was amazing.  It got down to 30 degrees last night but I had no idea because the little heater kept me and the wife toasty warm.

The bed was even comfortable.  We had planned on bringing an air mattress to put on top of the bed but we forgot it and used only the cusions but we were still very comfortable. 

We didn't use any water features because it's still too early in the season here and I'm concerned about frozen hoses and pipes.  There were actually plenty of other campers at the grounds even with the cold weather last night.

We're going out again tonight but I don't know where we're going.  I'll try to get some pictures and post them as well.

Gotta pack now!

James
Let's hit the road!
rmaco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmaco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2009 at 8:18am
I am curious, does the slide out part feel solid when going in and out. I have been concerned that they may have used a cheap mechanism to keep the price down.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic