r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > RpodNation Downtime and Maintenance > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gas/Electric water heater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhamster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Two P's in a Pod Two P's in a Pod wrote:

It would not move.  Do you think this is a safety mechanism or is my switch frozen from lack of use?

I'm guessing it's just jammed. I think it's just a regular switch with no safety mechanisms. Have you tried rocking it back and forth?
Two P's in a Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two P's in a Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 4:31pm
Tried rocking but no good.  Sprayed some silicon spray into spaces around switch and figured I'd wait until Spring to try again.  Thanks.  Pete
Two P's in a Pod
Marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 5:04pm
If there is no water in the tank you should not turn the tank on anyway.
If you want something done right, do it yourself!

2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra Limited 5.7 Litre
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 7:34am
Not sure, after all the warnings, why you'd attempt to mess with the switch without water in the tank.  Anyway, if memory serves, I recall a pin or something thru the switch to avoid accidental activation.  Did you remove that pin?
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 10:11pm
I wonder if there could be some ice in the switch.  I have no special knowledge about this, but I'd be very surprised if there was a safety mechanism beyond the cotter key that would prevent the switch from moving if there was no water in the tank.

As far as trying the switch with no water, I can speak with a high degree of scientific certainty that it would be harmless to the heater element as long as you have no AC hooked up to the RPod.  It would be the equivalent of flipping a light switch in your house during a power failure.  Ain't nothin' gonna happen.  Physically, I would expect it to rock like any other on/off switch.  If you do get it to work be sure to leave it in the off position.

I just got a like new 176 and have not tried the electric element yet, so I'm watching this and similar threads with interest.

TT
zjf3jps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjf3jps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2013 at 7:43pm
Ok first time pod owner, first trip this weekend. If we are to use the electric water heater it is my understanding that we need to fill it with water first the flip on the heater switch located in the panel. Let it heat up for twenty minutes. I am guessing you are good to go from this point on as long as there is still water in the pod or do you have to turn the switch back off after shower.
2014 RPod 178
Toyota Tacoma
bhamster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhamster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2013 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by zjf3jps zjf3jps wrote:

I am guessing you are good to go from this point on as long as there is still water in the pod or do you have to turn the switch back off after shower.

You're good to go until you empty it. I turn if off when I winterize to make sure I don't have an "oops" moment. Keep in mind though that whenever you plug in the pod it will draw a significant amount of current until it's up to temp. It's probably not a problem at the campground, but if you hook it up at home with a wimpy extension cord it may cause a breaker to blow if you turn on other stuff.
zjf3jps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjf3jps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2013 at 8:13pm
Tks, hamster.
2014 RPod 178
Toyota Tacoma
Marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2013 at 8:17pm
If you are talking about the panel inside the pod, the red rocker switsh, that is for propane the electric switch is outside by your hot water tank. Dont forget when filling the tank open the faucet to let the air out.

If you want something done right, do it yourself!

2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra Limited 5.7 Litre
Mar)y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mar)y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 5:11pm
I am a new owner of 2013 R-Pod 171.
Can someone post a pix of "LOW POINT DRAINS".
I went through the sanitizing process without, but will need to winterize.
I've have travel trailers before, but this is the first time I've had a water system/bathroom.  I always ignored the on-board water because I wash dishes, etc outside.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic