r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Camping in cool weather

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camping in cool weather
    Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 11:50am
I'm looking to camp in three seasons.  Nights may get to 32 degrees but not colder.  Is the heater adaquate to keep the POD warm?  Is a suppliment electric heater recommended?

thanks

Vicki
Whiskeyjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whiskeyjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 12:51pm
I live in Washington State and do a lot of 3.5 season camping with the Pod. I do no off grid dispersal camping during the winter, as I always use a small space heater during late fall/winter/early spring outings. The Pod heater, like most RV gas heaters really adds to inside moisture build up when camping in cold weather. That's because of the continual heating and cooling during its off/on cycles. A space heater can be adjusted to run on low with the fan running more of the time. This really helps push the moisture out. With your vents open a little and a window cracked just a little, with some experimentation which window and vent and how much, the condensation can really be minimized. In some conditions and RVs a small dehumidifier will also help limit the moisture, too.

I've had 8 different R/Vs over the years, and an Arctic Fox that was equipped with a winterpackage with tons of weather related upgrades is the only trailer I've owned that I didn't have some condensation concerns in the winter.
33 years in the classroom was enough. I miss kids, coaching, and some of the adults. Grading papers? Forget it!
pod people View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pod people Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 8:49pm
We use a small electric heater in our pod for a different reason-the propane heater(and its blower fan) is very loud .  This noise  wakes us up every time it comes on-which seems to be about every 30 minutes depending on temps inside and outside..  The electric heater ( with fan) is a constant low volume hum.  We usually will get the pod warm with the propane heater before we go to bed and then use the electric unit all night long.We have been comfortable at 28 degrees.

Also, if we are in a campground, we would rather use their electricity  rather than our propane.

Vann Evans

Pete Goodall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Goodall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 6:44pm
We went camping here in Washington state at Kayak Point part in early December for our first outing in the 177.  We had an A/C hookup and used the gas heater in the Pod for warmth.  There was quite a bit on condensation as expected, but we stayed warm.  The unit is pretty noisy as it kicks on and off alll night.
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 5:13am
We've dry camped in the winter quite a bit: both with and without hook-ups. As previously mentioned, the propane heater is adequate to warm the POD. However, it will go through your battery and maybe propane very quickly. We have a dual battery and dual propane setup. With trying to keep the POD warm in single digit temperature all day and night, our propane and battery (with assistance from our generator) lasted two days. Condensation can be combated by either Damp Rid or having the vent open with the exhaust fan on for battery operations. The heater turning on and off noise is not bad especially if you wear ear plugs. If you've stayed overnight in rest areas, Wal-Mart parking lot, truck stops, etc., then ear plugs are great anyway. The previous posts with electric heaters are spot on. If you have power available, use it.

Good luck and hope you try and experience some winter camping and/or overnights, as there's no experience like it.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic