r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camp ground review and recommendations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Campground near Augusta, GA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IPodAlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Campground near Augusta, GA
    Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 9:34pm
Am thinking about camping near Augusta near the end of February.  There seems to be several state parks as well as some private ones.  Just wondering if anyone has camped in the area and found a campground they really liked.
2010 Rp 171
Towed with 2011 Ford Expedition
Co-pilots: Abby & Brownie
"No one can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." -- Anon
Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 7:17am
Strom Thurmond Lake is right outside Augusta. The Corps of Engineers has several campgrounds in the area with gorgeous sites right on the water. They are not all open during the winter, but I know the Petersburg campground is open all year long. There may be others.
Traveling with Herb and the Boon-doggie

2010 r-pod 171 pulled by '11 Silverado
IPodAlong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IPodAlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 6:45pm
Thanks, I had not checked those two out.  Had looked at Mistletoe and Elijah Clark so will check out Strom Thurmond and Petersberg.
2010 Rp 171
"No one can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." -- Anon
Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 9:57am
We are at the Petersburg campground now. Had originally planned to leave tomorrow, but think we'll stay till Friday as there seems to be a potential storm coming in along the east coast.

Site #10 - Perfect for a pod. We step out to a beautiful view each morning.

IPodAlong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IPodAlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 8:42pm
Looks like a great place.  I have my weather channel on my phone set to that area to see how temperatures run.  I don't mind a "cold snap" for a short period but don't want to camp in the cold for an extended period of time.  I know I won't get consistently warm temps unless I go toward south Florida but is the area you're in relatively comfortable; i.e. it does get somewhat warm during the day?
2010 Rp 171
Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 9:15pm
The weather here the past few days has been beautiful. We've been wearing shorts during the days and were even able to sit outside comfortably last night. A big ole storm came through here awhile ago and I think it might have be bringing us some cooler weather though.

IPodAlong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IPodAlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 9:27pm
I live in SW Va so it's been really good here too for a couple of days but there were some frigid temps last week here and I noticed the temps there dropped too a lot.  The difference I think is that if we get a warm day here, the earth is still cold and so it still has a "bite" to it and it usually only feels warm a few hours.  Am thinking it might stay warmer for more of the day there.  Anyway, am thinking I might get motivated and do something in a couple of weeks.  Not sure yet.
2010 Rp 171
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic