r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camping Recipes and Food Ideas
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Toast in the Convection Microwave?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tusten Traveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toast in the Convection Microwave?
    Posted: 04 Aug 2009 at 6:55pm

I can't imagine camping with out eggs and toast in the morning. Before I take up precious storage space with a toaster, has anyone used the convection MW to toast bread?

John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009 at 9:47pm
I haven't tried that but you can make toast without a toaster.  I used hot dog forks, for roasting dogs on a campfire.  Just stab the bread and toast over the gas cooking range.  Tastes real good!Smile

Terry
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 7:24pm
I use one of the camp stove toasters from REI.  $4.00 little gizmo that sits on a stove burner.  Works fairly well and doesn't take up much space in the storage cabinet.   And quite a bit less space then an electric toaster.

Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 5:53am
I have a convection oven at home as well as in the r-pod.  I have made toast, pizza and cheesy topped openfaced sandwiches.

Directions didn't come with the r-pod oven, but here are some tips.

Microwave stuff will burn/melt with direct heat and your bottom is metal.

I have a couple of glass pie plates that I use for convection cooking and microwave cooking.

For boiling rice and pasta: heat water first then add product, use glass pie plate under container in case of boil over (easy cleanup), voice of experience.

For popcorn place on a glass surface...it insulates the paper from the metal.

Don't forget pot holders.Hot hot hotSleepy

Enjoy, Lee

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tusten Traveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 11:09pm
Thanks- that is exactly what I needed to know.

And I even have a glass pie plate that is gathering dust at home- it will go right in the rpod.
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 5:48am
I'm with gmandual - the Coghlan's on-stove toaster works well (and toasts quickly).

As far as platewear, I picked up a set of Corelle.  They're microwave compatible and can take up to 450 F in the oven.  They're also tough as nails - I had a few fly out of the overhead cabinet onto the floor without a chip.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpodcamper.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 7:34am
removed
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 8:08am
Traveled 3600 miles and my cabinets and drawers never open.  Did have a couple of things fall of seats and bunks so I know there was shifting.

Lee
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
Leaflin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leaflin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2009 at 3:36pm

I love the camp stove toaster. We used one years ago when we tent camped and mine has long since gone. I'll have to get another one now.

You can also do toast in a frying pan much like a grilled cheese sandwich only just butter one side. Or after you have fried your eggs fry/toast your bread in the hot pan.
Mrs. 'Piper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs. 'Piper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2009 at 7:11am
When we had the boat I could never remember how to set the camp stove toaster up after storage.  What worked for us was to very lightly butter one or both sides of a slice of bread.  Then just put them in a frying pan....."toast" them on one side then the other.   With the propane stove it browns nicer and much faster than the boat's alcohol stove.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic