r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > RpodNation Downtime and Maintenance > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bearing Buddy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bearing Buddy
    Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 8:46am
Greetings one and all,

Want to install a set of bearing buddy's on my 177..Has anyone installed these on there POD?

What size fits our axle on the PODS?

Thanks in advance.
WWR
WWRon,2012 RP177 HRE "Eye Pod",2010 Ford F-150 4x4
9/11 Never Forget.
NRA Life Member, Amsoil dealer www.lubedealer.com/wallawallaron
Alex&Marie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex&Marie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 4:40pm
I've thinking of doing that too. I've had them on my boat trailer for over 20 years and she is still ticking along. 
Alex and Marie
2012 R-pod 177, 2006 Toyota Tundra
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 7:24pm
While I like them, the ez lube system already installed works very well IMHO.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 7:53am
Sleepy
My personal opinion is that the OEM design is superior to that of a 'bearing buddy' system.
The Lippert/Dexter design allows you to inject fresh grease from the rear of the bearing housing into the bearing area and then forces 'old' grease out the housing.  Bearing buddies simply inject grease onto the front of the bearing housing pushing any old grease into any air pockets that may have developed.  You are not replacing old grease, just layering new.
tsunami
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 8:01am
If your rpod is still under warranty, you might want to check to make sure that replacing with BB doesn't void the coverage on the axle.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
wallawallaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 9:28am
Thanks to one and all,

I love this site.  I did not know about our built in grease fitting.  I agree that there is no need for the bearing buddy.

Thanks again one and all.

WWRBeer
WWRon,2012 RP177 HRE "Eye Pod",2010 Ford F-150 4x4
9/11 Never Forget.
NRA Life Member, Amsoil dealer www.lubedealer.com/wallawallaron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex&Marie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 1:40pm
I also did not realize the features of the grease fittings on the rpod. But it seems like I have seen posts about how to repack the bearings on the rpod. Is that really not necessary with these bearings??

The bearing buddy is probably a favorite for boat trailers because it has a positive pressure that helps limit water infiltration into the bearing when it is submerged during launching and recovery. not a needed ( or desirable feature for an rpod ;-)

Alex and Marie
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Alex&Marie Alex&Marie wrote:

I also did not realize the features of the grease fittings on the rpod. But it seems like I have seen posts about how to repack the bearings on the rpod. Is that really not necessary with these bearings??

Some people have gone through the trouble of repacking the bearings.. I don't intend to. I will service the axle as the manufacturer instructs.. I suspect the "re-packers" didn't realize what they had/have.. or, they are belt and suspender types.

Very few people have a lot of experience with the these things, and with the system used on the ez-lube in particular. I was an M60 series tank crewman for a long time, and they use a system much like this, and while a few times I saw bearings fail, it wasn't because the hubs were lubed correctly. And the 14 hub and bearing sets on a 65 ton tank, over broken/wet/dry/sandy terrain take a heck of a lot more beating than my pod.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Little Sweet Pea Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little Sweet Pea Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 8:28pm
"belt and suspender" types??? I know you meant no offense to my great grandad, but that was pretty funny!LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex&Marie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 1:11am
thanks Furpod, that makes sense to me. 
Alex and Marie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic