r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > RpodNation Downtime and Maintenance > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

door problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomshea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: door problem
    Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 9:56pm
This summer will be our third year with our r-pod. We love it! The only problem is with our door/screen-door. We stored our unit outdoors through the cold Wisconsin winter. In the spring when I picked it up, the door didn't open or close properly. Evidently, the door frame must have twisted. I have to push hard to close it and it doesn't really latch very well. Its very difficult to separate the screen door from the solid door. We muddled through last summer forcing the door  to open and shut. This spring I'd like to get it working properly. But I'm afraid this could be a big problem...  someone told me you shouldn't lower the corner stabilizers when storing the unit (which I did), could this cause the camper's entire frame to bend?? Has any else had this problem?Confused
HerbL View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HerbL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 8:06am
This might not help, but maybe... Try spraying silicone on all door gaskets, hinges and the locking mechanism. I have found that this greatly eases the opening and closing of the door. Good luck.
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 7:57pm
Not sure if the stabilizers being down would be the cause, but I was told by a long time rv'er not to put the stabilizers down because with the frost heaving on one corner thereby making the opposite back/front corner to come under a lot of strain by not being able to lower with the stabilizer down. And maybe twisting the frame?? I thought it made sense not to lower the stabilizers. Also spraying lub on all hinges etc. sure wouldn't hurt. Just my 2cents. Good luck
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
2012 177.. "EHHH" R Pod" its a canadian thing..
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 8:02pm
On another note.. Our door frame (from the factory) was out of square right from day 1. Our rv place (once camping season was over) re-hung the door so that it was square. We will see how things are this spring. The door wouldn't close real nice and the lock wouldn't lock properly either. Like I said we'll see how things are this spring. This is our 2nd season with our trailer.
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
2012 177.. "EHHH" R Pod" its a canadian thing..
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racer|X| Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 7:59pm
I made it through my 1st WI pod winter....sorry...door works fine.

X
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic